OMV on a QNAP TS-210 and others.

• Hi there,

I would like to install OMV on my QNAP NAS, can anybody tell me where there is a guide for this (if it can be done). Its a small NAS with no monitor output. I am using a a Mac but happy to use Windows if needs be.

Also, I have been lucky enough to have been given the following servers and I will one day be using these for my storage solutions, can anybody tell me if they can run OMV?

2 X Dell PowerEdge R210 II
    1 X Dell PowerEdge R310
    1 X HP ProLiant DL380 Generation 6 Server

Thanks very much,
    Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would skip the TS-210. Too slow and armel architecture.

The other servers will definitely run OMV. I would use OMV 5.x though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Nice! many thanks :) Just trying the ProLiant now but not booting from CD, so I am investigating. maybe I'll just make a bootable USB of OMV 5...

EDIT: Sorry, do I just install this by making bootable media from an iso and selecting that media as first boot device?

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nick0 ()

• OK, so I made bootable media on both CD-ROM and USB. I put both of them in.

On startup, I am doing:

• F11 = Boot Menu
    • F11 again for default boot override options
    • Then option 1) One time boot to CD-ROM

The first time I did this, it started installing OMV but then encountered a problem so I had to reboot.

Now, after step 3, above, I get:

Attempting boot from CD-ROM
    Attemting boot from USB Drivekey

Non-system disk, press any key to reboot.

And around in circles I go! Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thank you,
    Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• Hi there,

I just tried a few linux bootable disks and they aren't booting. Here is a pic of the BOIS screen and another of the 'Standard Boot Order (IPL)'.

Hopefully, that might help because I sure as hell don't know what I'm looking at here for the most part.

Thanks,
    Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• OK, so I re created the USB disk and set the internal USB ports to boot first, now it boots from the USB and all goes well until i hit the networking bit where it tries to setup DHCP. I think this is because I am using dd-wrt on my router to run a VPN, so i say that I will set the nestwork up later.

All good then until we get to partitioning the disk (setup is running on a 4GB, and the install disk (destination for OMV) is a 16GB USB).

Error says:

Failed to partition the selected disk
    This probably happened because the selected disk or free space is too small to be automatically partitioned

Thanks,
    Nick.

EDIT: OK, so I am looking at this guide now!

MORE EDITS: Well, I tried what the guide said, using g-parted live disk and I had to put sudo in front of the second command for it to work, as it moaned about permissions. The disk still gave the same error regarding partitioning, so I grabbed myself a 128GB SSD that I had laying around and it went through without issue.

Next up was the network, DHCP could not be set up, so i skipped it after spending ages trying to set it up manually. Then the package updater couldn't run, so I skipped that. Then I got an error about a disk outside of HDD0 trying to boot, so I shut it down altogether.

At this rate, I'll just install it on an old desktop PC as that always works for me. Grrr. Time for bed.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Nick0 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

so i say that I will set the nestwork up later.

OMV needs network connection during installation.

This probably happened because the selected disk or free space is too small to be automatically partitioned

One reason for this could be, that the standard installer wants to create a swap partition. The size is calculated based on the RAM you have installed. If you have lots of RAM the target drive will be too small.
    A work around it to install Debian first and then install OMV on top. The installer of Debian is more flexible and you are able to install with smaller or no swap partition.
    For installation use the net inst installer of Debian and do not install a desktop environment (you will be asked in the middle of the installation what you want to install).
    But also in this case you need network connection.
    You can follow this guide. Just use a amd64 iso instead of the i386 iso of debian netinst. And you need to adjust the partitioning due to swap.

Other approach:
    If you have installed OMV successfully on the old desktop PC you might be able to move the installation to the other devices. Just grab the OS drive and plug it in. You should do this before you have done any configuration within OMV.
    If that is working you can setup the network connection.

• OK, many thanks.

I ended up just reverting to OMV 4 on another desktop - the servers will have to wait but I am planning to return to this thread and finish the job. I just don't have the time to mess about with it at the moment.

I now have two desktops running OMV, I will use these for backups for now.

I did manage to install OMV 5 on that SSD, which was obviously bigger then tha RAM, but I still got the error about a disk outside of HDD0 trying to boot.

Thanks again for your patience and I'll be back soon. First a new thread as I cannot get FTP to work on the new setup!

Ta,
    Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• FYI, I am using OMV5 on my QNAP TS-210 without problem. Once booted, OMV5 is not slower than OMV4.

Of course this is old hardware and not the fastest but it is enough for a basic usage like in my case:
    - 2 or 3 simultaneous clients (over wifi so no point in having a gigabit capable read/write speed ;))
    - SMB shares incl. TimeMachine backups and win10 backups
    - minidlna share
    - occasional download using aria2

No need to throw away working and possibly sufficient HW. The planet says thanks! :)

If you want to try the adventure you will need the information from Martin in order to install Debian:
    https://cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/

You will also find some tips I gathered for OMV on the Qnap forum (these were for OMV4 but I believe most of it is still valid):
    https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=142098

One more thing, the flash for the initrd started becoming small with Buster but unlike what's stated on Martin's website, it still works fine using the trick at the end of the page:

https://cyrius.com/debian/kirk…p/ts-119/troubleshooting/

• Hi there,

Wow, that's great - thank you for that! I did offer the NAS to somebody I work with as he had expressed an interest in having one, so I thought a charitable donation would be good! Now I am thinking that I'd like this project for myself though, so i will see. Maybe I'll install it before I give it to him :)

Anyway, thanks for posting all of this info, its very much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• OK, back on the ProLiant now.

OMV 5 hangs on setting up IPV6 but OMV 4 goes along very nicely now with no networking problems like I had before (see earlier post). The problem that I'm having now is that I am getting the following error when it comes to partitioning the disk:

Zitat

No root file system

No root file system is defined

Please correct this from the partitioning menu.

<Continue>

This happens with a 128GB SSD in an enclosure and about 8 USB sticks that i have tried. I did try formatting them as ext3 or 4 in g-parted but that doesn't change anything, so it must be something else.

Any help will be much appreciated as always!

Thanks,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• Other approach:

If you have installed OMV successfully on the old desktop PC you might be able to move the installation to the other devices. Just grab the OS drive and plug it in. You should do this before you have done any configuration within OMV.
    If that is working you can setup the network connection.

OK, its me again!

This ended up working after I managed to sort out the No root file system issue (post above). I sorted this issue by restarting the system completely when trying new disks. It seems that pressing Esc rescanning for disks doesn't work. I found this out by installing on another machine, as you suggested (above).

So, I installed OMV4 on the Proliant using the same disk that just worked on the other machine. So now I have a clean install on the ProLiant, installed using the ProLiant - hope this makes sense!

Now, I am getting this error when I try to boot into OMV:

error: attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0

Entering rescue mode...

grub rescue>

Which is what I was getting months ago.

Pic attached of the ProLiant BIOS options if that helps?

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nick0 ()

• OK, so its months later and I took another look at the servers this evening.

I am looking to get two of them up-and-running so I thought I would go with the two Dell PowerEdge R210 II servers. Firstly, I came up against the...

Failed to partition the selected disk

... problem and I read somewhere that installing via CD rather than USB can help here. I couldn't get the server to list the optical drive as an boot option until, after digging around in the BIOS, I found that the SATA port for the optical drive had been disabled. I set it to auto and tried again, bingo, it booted up fine, but sadly the same error with partitioning.

I plugged in an external SSD and tried again and all went well, resulting in a successful installation of OMV5, but I don't want an external SSD hanging out of the server, so I am going with the guide you suggested. I have burned the debian-10.7.0-amd64-netinst.iso to disk and I have had a quick look at the guide, that seems do-able, even for someone of my limited understanding! One question I have though is that you said that I would need to adjust the partitioning due to swap, but I do not see this mentioned in the guide, so could you elaborate for me, please?

Thanks,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• Offizieller Beitrag

On Page 13 you have "partitioning". In the guide "guided - use entire disk is used" is selected. This is the standard and the installer will partition the drive for you so that there is on root partition and one swap partition.

You can try if this is working and you are ending up with a root partition which is large enough for OMV.

If not, you have to select "Manual" in that menu. Then you are able to define the size of the root partition (mount point / ) and of swap. Or can avoid swap at all.

This video might help

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Hey, macom - good to talk to you again and thanks for the video.

OK, so I managed to get past the partitioning, so thanks for the explanation!

Now I am stuck on the networking bit, I told it to skip it in the setup just so that I could try the partitioning but it was complaining that DHCP wasn't being used or wasn't functioning properly. My router hands addresses out, so is defo using DHCP.

Once at the end of the Debian install, it asks you to reboot and log in as root and type ip addr

I get this:

I also tried pinging my router and I get this:

connect: Network is unreachable

There's nothing in BIOS to help, so I looked at System Services, where you can find something called USC (Universal Server Configuration), and then Network Settings. This has a box with "IP Address Source:" and a dropdown with the choices: No Configuration; DHCP; Static IP. It was set to 'No Configuration', so I changed it to DHCP and rebooted.

I logged into my router and asked it to assign a specific IP Address to the server, using its MAC Address, but that doesn't help either, there's no change to the output of ip addr.

One other thing to say is that as the server boots up, it says its IP address is 192.168.0.120, wich is obviously not going to be reachable on a 192.168.1.X LAN.

Just for info, I have two Linsys Velop routers and the main one is plugged into a powerline adapter at the mains. The server lives out in the garage (its so cold here!!) and is plugged into another powerline adapter via a netgear switch. I have several devices on the powerline adapters and they all work well.

Is this something you (or anybody) can help with?

Thanks,

Nick.

P.S. In the meantime, I will reinstall Debian with the new settings for the NIC on the server.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!