OMV gives error after raspbian 20200205 update

• getting below error after applying the latest raspbian 20200205 update, any suggestions?
    I've posted it on raspberrypi.org forum too

Error #0:
    OMV\Rpc\Exception: Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:141
    Stack trace:
    #0 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/session.inc(56): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'authUser', Array, Array, 2, true)
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSession->login(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('login', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(97): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Session', 'login', Array, Array, 3)
    #5 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()
    #6 {main}

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

How did you upgrade?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• maybe I posted in the wrong category. Issue was caused by a raspbian OS upgrade that filled root file system to 100%/
    its a shame that apt has no safeguards to prevent that error from happening.
    How can I flag this as solved/closed?

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• I was too fast in clsoing it.
    monitMon Feb 10 2020 17:45:33 GMT+0100 (Central European Standard Time)
    'omv-engined' failed to start (exit status 1) -- '/bin/systemctl start openmediavault-engined': Failed to start openmediavault-engined.service: Unit openmediavault-engined.service is masked.

PRIORITY3
    SYSLOG_FACILITY3
    SYSLOG_IDENTIFIERmonit
    SYSLOG_PID7270
    SYSLOG_RAW<27>Feb 10 17:45:33 monit[7270]: 'omv-engined' failed to start (exit status 1) -- '/bin/systemctl start openmediavault-engined': Failed to start openmediavault-engined.service: Unit openmediavault-engined.service is masked.
    SYSLOG_TIMESTAMPFeb 10 17:45:33
    _BOOT_ID7eb9aec9adf242b694b3f75002aa9b05
    _CAP_EFFECTIVE3fffffffff
    _CMDLINE/usr/bin/monit -c /etc/monit/monitrc
    _COMMmonit
    _EXE/usr/bin/monit
    _GID0
    _HOSTNAMEpi4
    _MACHINE_IDc8c90b9cbd62474aac71496024096451
    _PID7270
    _SOURCE_REALTIME_TIMESTAMP1581353133426101
    _SYSTEMD_CGROUP/system.slice/monit.service
    _SYSTEMD_INVOCATION_IDabd03d99131e499ebadca905eda71e8f
    _SYSTEMD_SLICEsystem.slice
    _SYSTEMD_UNITmonit.service
    _TRANSPORTsyslog
    _UID0
    __CURSORs=ea0c98edcde64f718719884c36a2d2c3;i=e952;b=7eb9aec9adf242b694b3f75002aa9b05;m=17afcbe70;t=59e3b77c845ee;x=4455d8391fc950b0
    __MONOTONIC_TIMESTAMP6358351472
    __REALTIME_TIMESTAMP1581353133426158

• Offizieller Beitrag

maybe I posted in the wrong category. Issue was caused by a raspbian OS upgrade that filled root file system to 100%

No right category. Wrong description. I just wanted to make sure you weren't fresh installing. To say that you were upgrading to a version is incorrect. You just upgraded to the latest packages since there is no way to upgrade to a specific version.

What is the output of:
    dpkg -l | grep -v ^ii

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Had to be done via the cli sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get full-upgrade but the changes seem to be more in reference to raspbian although there is a new buster lite.

I was assuming that but I just wanted to make sure a new image was written.

• Had to be done via the cli sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get full-upgrade but the changes seem to be more in reference to raspbian although there is a new buster lite.

yes this is basically what I did, but instead of " full-upgrade" I had used " upgrade" which consumes more disc space

What is the output of:
    dpkg -l | grep -v ^ii

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is this running on raspbian with a desktop?? That is a bad idea...

Lots of things are removed and this system is in a weird state that would take a ton of time asking back and forth for responses. I think you would be better off to do a fresh install on an SD card of reasonable size (or less shit filling it). And make sure to follow the guide - https://forum.openmediavault.o…-s-i386-32-bit-platforms/

• Is this running on raspbian with a desktop?? That is a bad idea...

I understand where you are coming from but let me explain why I ended up with a desktop so hopefully a better setup will result from our conversation that will be usable for other OMV beginners too.

1) my linux command line skills are maybe 2-3 on a scale of 10 (=noob), therefore I spend hours searching for a command that solves a given issue quite frequently. This is much easier addressed with a browser readily available on the system being worked on.
    2) this is my 'development/integration' system, I've a second 'production' system that is build from raspbian lite (without desktop)
    3) currently both use 8Gb SD cards but I've 32 or 64 Gb SD card available.
    Issues:
    1) writing an image to them took such a long time that I preferred to use the small sized ones
    2) I didn't see an easy to use solution for creating a backup image file from an SD card regularly.
    Instructions at rpi doc are written for an expert, cover only cloning to another SD card but not HDD and mention nothing about a solution that would work on Windows (the common work environment for 80% of new users)

Maybe there are better approaches to overcome these issues?

update: while reading OMV 'Getting started" documents in above provided URL, I just found "The Cloning Process for USB thumb drives and SD-Cards on a Windows PC"

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

1) my linux command line skills are maybe 2-3 on a scale of 10 (=noob), therefore I spend hours searching for a command that solves a given issue quite frequently. This is much easier addressed with a browser readily available on the system being worked on.

I understand searching but if you ssh into the system and do your searching on the system you are running putty with, you won't need a desktop on the RPi. Plus, having a desktop installed will cause other issues that make it hard for us to help and even harder for you to find.

this is my 'development/integration' system, I've a second 'production' system that is build from raspbian lite (without desktop)
    currently both use 8Gb SD cards but I've 32 or 64 Gb SD card available.

This is why you filled the SD card. The desktop environment has many more packages and large ones at that. This means more updates and larger updates. 8 GB is ok for a server install but not big enough for a desktop install.

writing an image to them took such a long time that I preferred to use the small sized ones

Writing the buster lite image is much smaller and faster the desktop image. And you are writing the same amount to either size card (it doesn't write the entire size of the SD card). So, the amount of time to write is based on the speed of the card and the image size.

I didn't see an easy to use solution for creating a backup image file from an SD card regularly. This guide has a section about cloning the SD card - https://forum.openmediavault.o…-s-i386-32-bit-platforms/

There are quite a few posts on this forum about exactly that.

Instructions at rpi doc are written for an expert, cover only cloning to another SD card but not HDD and mention nothing about a solution that would work on Windows (the common work environment for 80% of new users)

My first suggestion would to stop looking at the RPi tutorials once you are running OMV. Quite a few of them break OMV.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• I've build a second time considering the advise given above and all is good now !!
    Thank you so much

• mi-hol

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!