Silent NAS Case

• Hello everybody

I am looking for a silent case for my NAS.
    It should have at least space for 4 x 3.5" hard disks and be no wider than 20-21cm.

Currently I have a SilverStone SST-PS12B and I am not satisfied with the noise level.
    The hard drives are just too loud.(7200rpm IronWolf)

My current favorite is the Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Edition.
    Do you know a better alternative?

Thanks!

• Check out the Node 304 from Fractal Design. It's 21cm tall but I think it's a bit wider than that.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• I can also recommend the Fractal Design Node 304. I am using this case for my NAS equipped with six WD RED, which are scarcely audible. But this system is only silent, if silent drives are used too.

If you still want to use your ironwolf´s then the Node 304 isn´t much better probably than your Silverstone, I assume.

I think you will need an insulated enclosure.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Well the Cooler Master looks a bit overkill.

Yes, you could remove the rubber feets, they are sticked with simple glue.

I had a space problem like yours: shelfs were only 20cm away and the Node 304 didn't fit. I looked for other cases, but no alternative.
    I solved the issue by changing furniture unit in my living room :P

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• I have a U-NAS NSC-400
    It has 4 x 3.5"/2.5" front bays and space for up to 2 Internal 2.5" disks
    It is 19cm wide, 18cm high and about 25 deep
    It is a good case and silent enough (on high CPU load the fans do ramp up and it is pretty audible but when in idle i cannot hear it unless I am about 10cm from it)
    Availability is a problem, though...

• Did you pay 150$ for it?
    Although looks well made, I think it's a bit expensive :D

By the way, I'm in the process of assembling my new NAS with the Node 304. When the fans are set at minimum via the controller, I can't hear a thing. It's so silent that the first time I booted the system I thought I was missing some fans (Obviously withouth HDD at the moment).
    I'm in love with it.

• Did you pay 150$ for it?Although looks well made, I think it's a bit expensive :D

By the way, I'm in the process of assembling my new NAS with the Node 304. When the fans are set at minimum via the controller, I can't hear a thing. It's so silent that the first time I booted the system I thought I was missing some fans (Obviously withouth HDD at the moment).
    I'm in love with it.

Indeed it is too expensive, but in my case It was a gift from a friend :thumbup:
    It is indeed well made... not perfect, I might add, but well made, and tiny
    Mine also has a Delta electronics PSU, which is not cheap, something else to consider regarding the price

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've always found the biggest issue with noise, was the PSU. Even the cheapest case, as long as the PSU is of reasonable quality, they've been relatively quiet. Larger fans, moving slow/medium speed... less noise.

• In win ms04?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

The MS04 is also a good alternative. But also for this one, in germany is difficult to find a seller...

I've always found the biggest issue with noise, was the PSU. Even the cheapest case, as long as the PSU is of reasonable quality, they've been relatively quiet. Larger fans, moving slow/medium speed... less noise.

I've no problems with the psu (is from bequiet) or with the fans.
    The only thing that disturbs me is that the VIbrations of the hdd's are transferred and it drones to much.

I have already bought rubber shims for the HDDs and rubber feet for the case. I will report if it has become better.

• The U-NAS NSC-400 looks good but in Germany I can't find a seller. :(

@thedarkness
    Is the height of the Fractal Design Node 304 21cm with or w/o feet?

It's 21cm with feets. Without I don't think it will reach 20.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von auanasgheps ()

• I put those under my Node 304 and they reduced the hdd vibration noise a lot!

https://smile.amazon.de/dp/B07…_r_cp_apa_i_Nq8rEb790S6J1

Otherwise i sport a semi passive cpu cooler and psu and they never ramp up...

I can confirm that put anti vibration pads or feets under the case reduced the hdd vibration noise a lot. Now I'm happy and stay with my existing set up.
    Maybe in the future i will change to the Node 304. (was from beginning my favorite)

Thanks to all for the great support :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!