Acer AC100

• So I recently picked up an Acer ac100, with a Xeon e3-1260L and 8GB of ecc ram. When installing from an image though omv isn't recognizing the Intel nic that's on the board, any way to install it manually? It's an Intel PHY 82579LM. I get a huge list of drivers to choose from, but the Intel igp one doesn't work. I'm mostly new to Linux but know a bit of basic command line stuff but any help would be appreciated!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would try OMV 5.x since it has a newer kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• So the Acer website has drivers for redhat Linux... Which probably isn't useful. As for as omv5 it dumps me to a busy box prompt after failing to load on a new install.
    Any other thoughts before I toss it in the bin? I knew was too good to be true haha.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any other thoughts before I toss it in the bin?

Install OMV 5.x on a different system and fully update it. Perhaps install the proxmox kernel from the omv-extras kernel tab as well. Then put the drive you installed OMV on in the AC100 and see if it boots. There really is no reason Linux shouldn't work on this system. May require a few bios tweaks too.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I'll try that. It's not that Linux doesn't work, just nothing detects the lan chip. I looked at the debian site and compatible hardware and I couldn't find it. I tried Ubuntu, same thing. I can get it to load to the desktop, but no lan. I've been googling and trying to figure out how to load a driver from the Intel website, they have Linux drivers listed for it, but I've got no clue how to use them. It's an adventure in learning I guess.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which version of Ubuntu? What kernel versions have you tried for Ubuntu or Debian? My thought is that OMV 5.x will enable backports by default and fully updating the install on another system will get you the 5.4 kernel. It that kernel doesn't detect the NIC, you will have to compile a driver. But, some drivers may not support a kernel that new.

As for compiling, luckily I wrote a script to compile this kernel a long time ago when e1000e wasn't supported in any kernel. I just modified it for the latest driver and it worked on my dev box (obviously couldn't test the driver itself since it is a virtual machine). http://omv-extras.org/intel_360.sh

• I tried Ubuntu 19.10 last night. Is it possible that if I use a little wifi dongle and install omv, it'll do it's updates that way then I can just unplug the dongle and run it wired?

*edit*
    As far as kernels I'm not sure, just whatever comes with the downloads, I don't know how to change that stuff.

• Offizieller Beitrag

it'll do it's updates that way then I can just unplug the dongle and run it wired?

yes if it is supported by the kernel. Try it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!