Never shows up in Windows network explorer until name is entered, then fine

• I must be missing some setting for telling OMV to advertise its SMB shares to Windows clients. If I type in \\servername\ into the Win 10 file explorer then I get the OMV's shares, no problem. But until then, the only networked computers that just show up by opening the network explorer are the PCs.
    What setting in OMV did I not set right? I'm using 4.1.33

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is your OMV server running DHCP or a static address?
    Also does your client firewall "trust" the local network?

Try running through some of the network settings in this guide.

• OK, I finally got the OMV server to show up instantly on all the Windows clients by ignoring the advice (and default setting) of not allowing the OMV to participate in browser master elections. Enabling this resulted in the server showing up instantly on all the clients.
    What's the reasoning behind disabling that by default and recommending it not be turned on? Is there a problem with the Linux SMB server?
    Interestingly the Win 10 clients all have SMB 1.0/CIFS disabled which seems to be at least part of the problem in older Win 10 builds (pre 1803?) in which this was enabled by default. Therefore the above advice to disable browse master may be out of date(?) depending on how up to date are one's Win 10 clients.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What's the reasoning behind disabling that by default and recommending it not be turned on?

ssh into OMV and run systemctl status wsdd if that is running there should be no need to enable master browser, in fact it conflicts. If the output shows active (dead) run systemctl restart wsdd and disable the master browser setting.

• wsdd reports active since 30+ days ago. Turning off browser master makes the server disappear. Not just on one Win 10 client but three. So, I will leave it on for now. If anything wacky happens, I'll let you know.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!