Raspberry PI4 and external disks

• Hi! I have an ORANGE PI nas with 2 external HDDs connected that works without any issues for 2 years already.
    Recently i decided to upgrade my NAS and bought Raspberry Pi4, I thought that USB 3.0 together with Gbit lan ports will increase performance. I bought RPI 4, new discs and discovered that RPI4 cannot power 2 discs simultaneously. There are no issues with only 1 disk.

Disks are simple external HDDs without external power supplies from WD. RPI has original power supply.

Does anyone have a workaround for making RPI4 work with 2 external usb disk?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes. I bought and use powered external disks. Then I can use big 3.5" disks with my RPi4. Currently I have 2X8TB connected to my RPi4. I have good experience with powered enclosures made by Startech. No doubt there are other brands that are as good or better.

There also is a thing called "powered USB hub". It both provides power to connected devices and allows them to communicate with each other.

There has been some mention of various types and models. Because there are extra connections involved I strongly believe that a USB hub is an inferior solution to a normal powered external disk. But some models have been suggested here on this forum, based on personal experiences, as being good. I have to admit that I have never tried using a USB hub like this. I suspect that the USB cables used is critical for a good result.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!