What to choose OMV4 or OMV5

• Hi,

Had to put on hold the OMV build, however now I'm ready, just noticed OMV 5 is out and understand is stable. Did some google for any differences, believe all main upgrades it is under the hood but for a 1st timer, not Linux literate + my main purpose as stated before will be more like an extension for my PC, to add all my drives (NFTS) and be able to gain access from my PC. Probably will do Emby, SSH, DuckDNS.. The more I read here, the more excited I get, Anyway;

For my basic use (I guess) + will really love make sure I can install and use my VPN (PIA) in OMV in a easy, basic and similar to what I do in my Windows PC, which version is recommended to install and learn from day 1.. OMV 4 or OMV 5 also making sure it will be compatible or have no issues with my system- CPU AMD64 FX8350/ RAM 2 x 8 Gb DDR3 @2400, 6-7 HDD's Full of Data/Variables Sizes, already Formatted in NFTS

Will install the OS in a New SSD (128 Gb), never used, do I need to format the SSD before installation or will be done Auto by OMV (apologies for the dumb question, I'm newbie)

In a video was mentioned I must add a DNS and was recommended to use Google 8.8.8.8.. Personally I don't trust Google, can I use a different provider, like Firefox or DuckDuck, it is possible and how

Any suggestion be highly appreciated.

PS: if the answer is OMV5 (hoping for), will appreciates a link for all the main videos/instructions I must follow.

Thanks,

• Hi,

I would choose omv5 since this is relatively stable and people are actively working on it. And of course, have better features.
    I haven't used 4 before but 5 is working great for me for the first time.

In a video was mentioned I must add a DNS and was recommended to use Google 8.8.8.8.. Personally I don't trust Google, can I use a different provider, like Firefox or DuckDuck, it is possible and how

You can use 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1 from cloudflare.

PS: if the answer is OMV5 (hoping for), will appreciates a link for all the main videos/instructions I must follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_oxzpvMPTE
    Here is a very nice video from Techno Dad to help you install the OMV5.
    You might get most of the answers following along.
    I used his previous video which is extremely helpful and straightforward.
    This link is updated towards more stable versions.

At the end of the day, you can wipe out your drive and install 4 if you are not happy with 5.

Where are you going to install the OMV? For me 128 ssd looks like overkill to just install the OS.
    If you are thinking about using one machine, maybe consult the below quote and thread once.

It's a bit of a weird idea, since both OSs have different purposes and are aimed at different sorts of machines. Windows typically goes on a desktop machine with a keyboard, a mouse, and a monitor that you put to sleep when you're not using it. OMV is designed for a headless machine dedicated to storage that can go under the desk or in a closet, without keyboard or monitor, that runs 24/7. You wouldn't want or need Windows on a machine like that.

Maybe you need to consider getting two machines. You don't need a full blown PC as a NAS, so it can be relatively cheap.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it’s your first rodeo with OMV dig up an old pc and install your os on a 32gig thumb drive. I picked up a couple of 2.5Ghz dual cores for free a while back simply by asking “Hey, what are you going to do with that?” two different times. They both work great.

Or you can buy any of a number of single board computers and run your os on a 32gig micro sd card. 128gig is way too big. OMV is made to run os and data on separate drives.

Go to the Guides section of the forum and read up on how to install. Good luck.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

which version is recommended to install and learn from day 1.. OMV 4 or OMV 5

Go with OMV5. Works very well (for me and others on the forum) and saves you the upgrade.

Not sure if it is really needed to add an external DNS. Always just added the router. Or simply stay with DHCP and make your router to assign a static IP. Or stay with DHCP and don't care about IP address and use hostname instead.

Have a look in the guide section of the forum.

• Thanks everyone for all the reply's. Choosing OMV5 :thumbup:

Maybe I didn't explain my self better; for a PC I do have one, recently I did a new build with the new Ryzen CPU, Ram, Board.. etc So my old Board with FX8350 CPU + 16Gb DDR3 Ram will be used for OMV5, I guess I'm set in that part, however one big concern, at least with OMV4, is that most HDD's should be formatted into ext4 and mine already have data and I do not have any extra Disk to transfer and reformat, I must use or just install the disk I have with my data or collections, etc.

Afraid after I install OMV5 (in a new SSD), but for my Stuff (HDD), I want to transfer or add from my PC to OMV5 but need to make sure it will not Format automatically into ext4 and "Loose" everything I have, the HDD comes from that same old PC when had Windows installed, so it is a NFTS, this version, will become or create any type of conflict with OMV ?(

Asking because Debian is based on Linux and not sure if is compatible, I know this is a very basic thing for most here but as anyone can see I'm a Newbie, 1st timer, avoiding another way to say it ;)
    ----------------

For the DNS or IP... in my New PC and for long time I use a VPN (PIA), just download and install the app, run and configure some basic set and I'm done but for OMV, I'm not sure if I can except via OpenVPN, however I already paid for my PIA, in their website I found in their Forum one article to install PIA under Linus but believe it is for a Raspberry PI, at the same time they do offer a similar app + installation instructions (very close to Windows) for Linux and it stated Debian is compatible, so I'm assuming it is possible but "Definitely" will need help and instructions. =O

---------------

Will start to follow the basic installation from Techno Dad Life for OMV5, at the same time will be great if anyone can explain or tell me which extra apps I need to install and the order (1st this one, followed by and on and on)

Purpose for use: Personal- Movies/TV collections and like a NAS/ Cloud for my Docs, copies..must be in a individual folder and no one except me can gain access.

Movie/TV Player; in my New PC, Kodi w madVR + Emby but all the movies will be in OMV.

For last 2 Ys had used Kodi w madVR, last Month started to use Emby- really like how scrap and organize it + understand I can use different player that can take advantage of madVR (still learning and haven't purchase the license until I'm positive can use madVR + any connection will be secure, encrypted and protected, no piggy eyes aloud !) I had located few videos to install Emby and add some protection but every time I search, I learn something new or a new app I can use and honestly, it's starting to really confuse me..

Reverse Proxy, Personal DNS or IP, WireGuard, Handbrake, Mosh, OpenVPN, SSH, now I'm lost, I was hopping I only needed to install PIA and be set. Which one I should choose or which one is/are the best for my needs and in winch order ?(

I do not want to install OMV5 + HDD's and asap be open to the internet without any protection. Maybe I'm going too far or haven't really understood how OMV works but if I plug the Ethernet cable to my router, just like my other PC (Windows) since day 1 it does connect to the internet and start downloading any updates, so I assume it is the same for OMV... How I can make sure I can encrypt or at least force it as HTTPS from day 1 :?: This will add peace of mind.

Any information or someone can explain/answer this concern, will be highly appreciated. :saint:

Apologies for this long reply, just have so many questions (fear ?) and trying to create a map, choose the correct apps I need, and the order I must follow during installation. Hope this helps.

PS: Downloading + installing OMV5 today :D

Thanks in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV is not compatible with NTFS for the data storage. You will, unfortunately, have to reformat to EXT4 or some other Linux native filesystem. You can, however, use NTFS external USB drives for backups.

The easiest way could be to figure out how to backup your current data safely. Once that is done you can reformat, setup OMV 4 or OMV 5 and then restore your data from the backups.

So either buy a new backup HDD or a new HDD to use for the shared data, and use the current as backup.

If you don't have good backups you WILL lose the data. Sooner or later. If you don't want to lose your data, back it up. Typically three backup copies are needed. One of which is stored at some other location.

You could use an extra HDD in the NAS for one backup copy, the cloud for another and an external USB drive for the third copy. Then add versions. So you can restore a file as it was perhaps last month. Or yesterday.

• @Adoby, Thank you so much for this, I was about to add my HDD's, I recall seen a post here few month ago, for the same issue but was for OMV4 and some one had stated to not format and OMV will read the files or disk, just to leave it under NTFS, was hoping I could do this with OMV5. Sadly most disk I have "full" are 2 times the size for the only blank disk I have left, this will take little time to get at least one more and little by little start to format one under EXT4, transfer, reformat and transfer, etc.

In that case, any recommendations I can follow to start installing OMV5 to my old PC, it will have then only one SSD for the OS, work or install + set up anything to protect mt files, like SSH or what ever is best, so by the time I transfer my files, everything will bet set, etc.

Will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

• Offizieller Beitrag

My recommendation is that you get a new HDD for storage before you start installing OMV. Also that you make sure that you have good backups before you start moving data around.

Or, if you don't think your data is valuable enough to backup, simply delete it.

You can install OMV without any storage HDDs present and add HDDs for storage later. And then wipe and format.

• @Adoby Thanks, have maybe a small dumb question; If I get a blank HDD, install in OMV and format in EXT4, then in my Windows PC, just open my Files, it is possible to transfer to OMV via drag and drop, like I do inside my Windows PC ?

Maybe I can start with 1 HDD, move, wipe and format the old one and so on, etc.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't want to be a nag, and you can do what you want, and I won't mention it again, but a 32gig USB drive plugged into the back of your pc makes a very good and reliable OS drive, and very easy to back up too. If you are concerned about wear on a USB stick, OMV has a wear-leveling plugin that most everyone uses to get long life out of SD cards and USB sticks.

Quoting from page 75 of the Getting Started guide in the Guide section of this forum: "Given the low cost of flash media and with sockets mounted on the outside of a PC case, SD-cards and USB thumb-drives lend themselves to cloning and very quick recovery." You do want regular backups of operating system as well as data disks. Buy two SanDisk Ultra Flair 32gig USB 3.0 sticks ($7.77 each on Amazon) and you won't be sorry.

The above guide is the best guide for people new to OMV covering installation, setup, and backup (os and data), and more.

• @Agricola Don't worry, is no problem and I do appreciated the info... For the SSD, is only a 128 Gb (the smallest available now days) and only cost me $15.00, no big deal. However the more I think to use a USB, the better security I get, so my question is this case: a USB 3.0 (is the fastest available in that board), will slowdown anything, like video transfer (video player will be in different PC) or in general or will be no difference ?

Thanks, is highly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I run videos from Plex apps on a Roku player, an Apple TV, an iPad, a laptop, and my main Mac. Nothing lags. Everything is on Ethernet except the iPad. My media server right now is a Nano Pi M4 with a 4x SATA hat.

I can’t say for certain about your system though. Maybe others will chime in.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@Adoby Thanks, have maybe a small dumb question; If I get a blank HDD, install in OMV and format in EXT4, then in my Windows PC, just open my Files, it is possible to transfer to OMV via drag and drop, like I do inside my Windows PC ?

Yes. That is the whole point of having a NAS. Network Attached Storage.

You need to create a SMB share on the HDD in the NAS. And you may then have to jump through some hoops to open the share on the NAS on your Windows PC, in order to drag and drop. Connect to and mount the share. I can't tell you the finer details, I don't use Windows.

All this is described in detail in the manual.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!