UnionFS VS MergerFS

• OMV 5.x (beta)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• pr0ndigy wrote:

Can someone give me a simple TL;DR on the differences and benefits of each?
      Did you read the description? They both obviously use mergerfs but mergerfsfolders pools folders while unionfilesystems pools drives. I created a new plugin for mergerfsfolders because I didn't like a lot of the legacy code involved with unionfilesystems. I would like to get rid of the unionfilesystems plugin but it is much easier for noobs. So, I didn't
      omv 5.3.4 usul | 64 bit | 5.3 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.2.5
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

pr0ndigy wrote:

Can someone give me a simple TL;DR on the differences and benefits of each?
      Did you read the description? They both obviously use mergerfs but mergerfsfolders pools folders while unionfilesystems pools drives. I created a new plugin for mergerfsfolders because I didn't like a lot of the legacy code involved with unionfilesystems. I would like to get rid of the unionfilesystems plugin but it is much easier for noobs. So, I didn't
      Sorry, i was running on 4 hours of sleep last night.
      Thanks for the reply.

MergerFS = Pool of Folders
      UnionFS = Pool of HDD's

And pleeeeease don't get rid of UnionFS. It works perfect for what i'm doing. And i am an extreme noob! So it works :)
    • pr0ndigy wrote:

And pleeeeease don't get rid of UnionFS. It works perfect for what i'm doing. And i am an extreme noob! So it works
      The folders would work too. Insert of pooling disks D1, D2 in a pool, you would add the folders /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d1 and /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d2 (or maybe just /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d*).
      omv 5.3.4 usul | 64 bit | 5.3 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.2.5
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • As i read more, and watch more youtube videos about MergerFS, it doesn't seem all that hard to learn.

But of course i screwed myself by using the default UnionFS profile (Existing Path, Most Free Space) instead of using (Most Free Space).
      So now all my Movies are going to 1 HDD, and all my TV Shows are going to the other HDD.