UnionFS VS MergerFS

• Ok seriously... I can't find anywhere a legit comparison of the two anywhere.

Can someone give me a simple TL;DR on the differences and benefits of each?

And also, what the heck does this mean? UnionFS plugin is just MergerFS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can someone give me a simple TL;DR on the differences and benefits of each?

Did you read the description? They both obviously use mergerfs but mergerfsfolders pools folders while unionfilesystems pools drives. I created a new plugin for mergerfsfolders because I didn't like a lot of the legacy code involved with unionfilesystems. I would like to get rid of the unionfilesystems plugin but it is much easier for noobs. So, I didn't

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Did you read the description? They both obviously use mergerfs but mergerfsfolders pools folders while unionfilesystems pools drives. I created a new plugin for mergerfsfolders because I didn't like a lot of the legacy code involved with unionfilesystems. I would like to get rid of the unionfilesystems plugin but it is much easier for noobs. So, I didn't

Sorry, i was running on 4 hours of sleep last night.
    Thanks for the reply.

MergerFS = Pool of Folders
    UnionFS = Pool of HDD's

And pleeeeease don't get rid of UnionFS. It works perfect for what i'm doing. And i am an extreme noob! So it works :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

And pleeeeease don't get rid of UnionFS. It works perfect for what i'm doing. And i am an extreme noob! So it works

The folders would work too. Insert of pooling disks D1, D2 in a pool, you would add the folders /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d1 and /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d2 (or maybe just /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d*).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• As i read more, and watch more youtube videos about MergerFS, it doesn't seem all that hard to learn.

But of course i screwed myself by using the default UnionFS profile (Existing Path, Most Free Space) instead of using (Most Free Space).
    So now all my Movies are going to 1 HDD, and all my TV Shows are going to the other HDD.

• The folders would work too. Insert of pooling disks D1, D2 in a pool, you would add the folders /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d1 and /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d2 (or maybe just /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d*).

I am completely noob, just did my first installment and same as other noob, looking to get difference. I understood different. Now what is benefit of folder pool? Because I know you said you want to remove drive pool plugin completely. Isn't making folder pool will make it complicated if doesn't want to use OMV in future?

Or better question for future how do I access drive data without OMV in organized fashion if one or other drive missing. I am sure you can tell I no nothing about this. just like idea of having my own NAS and some virtual machine and that's why I build my own.

Organized data means: If I have Movie>>Action>>Mission Impossible 4

if for instance I have merge drive or merge folder, what happen if I just plug in one of drive without OMV or is it even possible?

I want to know all this stupid details before I start putting data on this drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ow what is benefit of folder pool?

Some people want to pool certain folders instead of the entire drive.

Isn't making folder pool will make it complicated if doesn't want to use OMV in future?

Nope. mergerfs works on top of normal filesystems. So, if it isn't installed, you can access the filesystems just like a normal filesystem.

what happen if I just plug in one of drive without OMV or is it even possible?

Then you don't have the files on the other drive. It will work just fine.

• What about folder organization we created? I believe it goes away right?

Please clarify what you mean by this.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• When I create Pool folder name Movies then I put another folder Action under that and then I put 10 movies. Now, mergefs decided to put 6 movies on drive 1 and 4 movies in drive 2. So by creating pool folder, it will put file randomly on different drive and in future, I decided to use one drive at time for some stupid reason, that organization will go away right? I am noob so please forgive me if questions are stupid.

• mergerfs will distribute files and folders it writes according to the create policy in use for any particular pool. This applies to a merge of folders or a merge of drives.

If you don't want files and folders to be written to more than one disk, then use a correct for your use case create policy, or don't write them into a pool at all, write them directly to the drive & directory you want them to be.

Study the mergerfs documentation for details.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!