Windows Laptop to OMV via Wlan - Speed to expect?

• Hi,

in the times of USB3 and hight internet bandwith I am asking myself what speed I can expect from my OMV-NAS.

for transfering files from and to my laptop I get this:
    Laptop to OMV: 8,66 MByte/s
    OMV to laptop: 16,8 MByte/s

Is this OK? To slow?

My laptop is Windows 10. I installed my omv as a networkdrive - so I use it as a normal drive in the system. I use Wlan to the router. Wired connection to the server.

You find my specs of the server below.

Where is room for improvement?

Thanks for some feddback.
    Best.
    F.

MoBo: Fujitsu D3417-B
    CPU: Intel Celeron G3900
    RAM: Samsung DDR4 - 8 GB ECC
    Case: Fractal Design Node 80
    HDD: SSD 64GB (System), 2*3TB+1*4TB (Data) + 1*4TB (Parity). UnionFS + Snapraid
    OMV 4
    Router: Fritzbox 7590

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von FFrank ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

As long as you are using a good setup, with OMV I would say the network typically is the bottleneck up to GbE. If you get 10GbE the disks and filesystem becomes the bottleneck.

Poor config/combination of NTFS/USB3/SMB may be a bottleneck as well.

For WiFi with a single access point your speeds are pretty good.

You can improve the WiFi network speed. Move the router, change the antenna direction. Get a better router. Shorter distances.

Get a multi node 5GHz WiFi mesh network. Or multiple cabled access points. Make sure distances are short and with minimal obstacles.

Or start using cables.

I use a 3 node ASUS WiFi Mesh and under poor conditions, a wall or floor between Laptop and the closest mesh node, I get up to around 15 MB/s between OMV and a Laptop. Under good conditions, same room and free sight to a mesh node, I get around 30MB/s. Under ideal conditions, WiFi only between the nodes and cable to the nodes, I get around 60MB/s.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Adoby ()

• Depends on your wifi connection and interferences by other connections in the same freq band around you. I am using a simple 5 GHz ac standard wifi and transfer speed is about 50 MB/s. Lets say you are on n standard and 2.4 GHz connection, then your speed is okay.

But the fact that your up and down streams are different look a bit like there is another bottleneck. You could check what speed can be reached via LAN cable. If it is significantly higher, your wifi is the bottleneck. If not it may be your HDD speed of laptop / server.

• you can give iperf3 a try https://iperf.fr/

in cli of the server you can just install it by apt-get and windows from the link

just start the server on one site like "iperf3 -s" and on the other site you will use "iperf -c 192.168.178.10" (change ip to your enviorment)

run some tests, and do it the other way - wat was client will now server and the server connect to this

so you got a clear statement of what is possible.

file transfair strong depend on files - 2tb smal files like config files or documents need much more time than a movie with 2tb.

hope it helps
    gl

• Thanks for all the input.

During the last days I discovered faster speeds if I am at a specific spot in the house...so the wlan connection needs to be optimized ;)

@draddy, thanks for the tip. I managed to install iperf3. But how do I start it on the server? I tried just "iperf3 -s" on the commandline - but I get "command not found". Do I need to restart the server?
    Thanks for more ideas.
    But overall it seems that the speeds are OK for a not really optimized system :)
    Thanks.
    Best.
    F.

MoBo: Fujitsu D3417-B
    CPU: Intel Celeron G3900
    RAM: Samsung DDR4 - 8 GB ECC
    Case: Fractal Design Node 80
    HDD: SSD 64GB (System), 2*3TB+1*4TB (Data) + 1*4TB (Parity). UnionFS + Snapraid
    OMV 4
    Router: Fritzbox 7590

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!