Newbie with a few questions

• Hi - just joined the forum (Newbie). Not sure if this is the right place to post this, sorry if its not. Wanting to build a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB RAM) NAS RAID 1 project and have a few questions.

I am going to use the NAS for storing music files. I already have a 500 GB Drive with about 200GB of files. My hope is that I can configure OpenMediaVault to use RAID 1 with my existing 500 GB SDD Drive and when I add the second (empty) drive the system will automatically synchronize the drives. This would be analogous to the situation where I have an existing RAID 1 pair and one of the drives fails and I have to replace it with a new one. Will the system simply add the second drive and copy whatever it needs to onto it?

1. Does OpenMediaVault run (stable) on Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB RAM) using RAID 1 USB attached SDD Drives? I already own the 4GB RPI and an empty 500 GB SDD

2. Does OpenMediaVault support booting from a RAIDed disk and not use the SD Card? I am concerned about the reliability of the SD Card and would rather boot from a USB attached SDD Drive (maybe my biggest question). I am Ok starting with the SD Card but would love to not have to use it after initial setup.

3. I already have a 500 GB SDD drive with data formatted ext4. Can I add this drive and an empty SDD Drive in a RAID 1 pair and will the system automatically copy the data on the existing drive to the new drive in the RAID 1 pair? I want to avoid having to rip all of my CDs onto an empty RAID 1 disk array.

Any help greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Steve

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Does OpenMediaVault run (stable) on Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB RAM) using RAID 1 USB attached SDD Drives? I already own the 4GB RPI and an empty 500 GB SDD

No, OMV does not support RAID on RPi. There have been too many issues with it. Probably you neither need nor want RAID anyway.
    My thoughts about... RAID

2. Does OpenMediaVault support booting from a RAIDed disk and not use the SD Card? I am concerned about the reliability of the SD Card and would rather boot from a USB attached SDD Drive (maybe my biggest question). I am Ok starting with the SD Card but would love to not have to use it after initial setup.

No, see above. BUT OMV has a flashmemory-plugin which reduces writes to the SD card to a large extend. Many users are using SBC with SD cards.

3. I already have a 500 GB SDD drive with data formatted ext4. Can I add this drive and an empty SDD Drive in a RAID 1 pair and will the system automatically copy the data on the existing drive to the new drive in the RAID 1 pair? I want to avoid having to rip all of my CDs onto an empty RAID 1 disk array.

As mentioned: no RAID on RPI

Instead you can use rsync or snapshot to copy data from drive 1 to drive 2. This can be done automatically every hour, every day, every week or what ever.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1 - You should use OMV 5 for an RPI4 - guide - but you should really think about why you want raid (provides availability and redundancy not backup) on a system that has no availability or redundancy features. You cannot create a Raid array on USB drives using the OMV web interface. There is a reason for that. Raid on usb drives is a terrible idea.

2 - Sure but keep it on the SD card. I have run systems for years on sd cards as long as the flashmemory plugin is installed (guide above does that automatically). Your goals seem like they require hardware more server grade which an RPi4 is definitely not.

3 - No. A raid array is create from empty disks. You should look at mirroring them with ext4 filesystems and the rsync or rsnapshot plugin.

And don't forget backup... Raid is not backup.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The fact that macom and myself posted almost the same post tells you a lot :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello to everyone, this is my first post. I'm italian, so sorry in advance form my english! :)

Next days I'll build a Nas with Raspberry 4 with 4GB Ram and a 4Bay Usb 3.0 Hdd drive. 32GB microSD for OS.

I've read "Getting_Started-OMV5.pdf" guide; at page 48, there is title:

Zitat

"The Flash Memory Plugin - amd64 and i386 users only"

"amd64 or i386 users who installed OMV on flash media will need to install the flash memory plugin."

Why "amd64 and i386 users only" ?

With Pi4 I don't need "Flash Memory Plugin".

I understood that it was indispensable!

Thank you

openmediavault 5.5.0-1

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB RAM + MicroSD 32GB Samsung UHS-I

FANTEC QB-35US3-6G Usb 3.0 Box Case + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD + 4TB HDD

• With Pi4 I don't need "Flash Memory Plugin".

I am not absolutely sure but I would assume that on ARM platform with SDCard boot device the flash memory plugin is mandatory. On other platforms with hdd or ssd boot device it´s just optional.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Next days I'll build a Nas with Raspberry 4 with 4GB Ram and a 4Bay Usb 3.0 Hdd drive

But you do not intend to create a RAID system with the 4 Bay USB enclosure? OMV doesn´t support RAID with USB devices. It is possible by CLI indeed, but not recommended.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Zitat

I am not absolutely sure but I would assume that on ARM platform with SDCard boot device the flash memory plugin is mandatory. On other platforms with hdd or ssd boot device it´s just optional.

so will I find it already installed?

openmediavault 5.5.0-1

• But you do not intend to create a RAID system with the 4 Bay USB enclosure? OMV doesn´t support RAID with USB devices. It is possible by CLI indeed, but not recommended.

no, just JBOD.

openmediavault 5.5.0-1

• Hello man!

Please help me:

After restarting OMV 5 or turning it off and running, a problem occurs. The main file system is not mounted. Until you manually click MOUNTED filesystem via the Web interface.

In my opinion, this happened after installing the FlashMemory plugin and the adjustments described in it:

"

Fstab (/etc/fstab) needs to be changed manually. Following these steps to change:

1. Login as root locally or via ssh
    2. Execute the following command: nano /etc/fstab
    3. Add noatime and nodiratime to root options. See before and after example lines:BEFORE:UUID=ccd327d4-a1ed-4fd2-b356-3b492c6f6c34 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1AFTER:UUID=ccd327d4-a1ed-4fd2-b356-3b492c6f6c34 / ext4 noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    4. Comment out the swap partition. See before and after example lines (only need to add a # to beginning of the line):BEFORE:UUID=a3c989d8-e12b-41d3-b021-098155d6b21b none swap sw 0 0AFTER:#UUID=a3c989d8-e12b-41d3-b021-098155d6b21b none swap sw 0 0
    5. Ctrl-o to save
    6. Ctrl-x to exit
    7. If you disable swap, initramfs resume should fixed to avoid mdadm messages.Remove the resume file:

rm /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resumeUpdate initramfs:update-initramfs -uOn systems using GPT, swap will still be auto-detected. The swap partition should be turned off and wiped.Find the swap partition with:blkid | grep swapExample output where /dev/sda2 is the swap partition:/dev/sda2: UUID="01c2d1ab-354b-4e2b-8d7c-ca35793f5fe7" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="4f64854c-02"Disable the swap partition with swapoff:swapoff /dev/sda2Wipe the swap partition with wipefs:wipefs -a /dev/sda2Reboot

"

Also now there are errors at startup, I attach screenshots.

• Fstab (/etc/fstab) needs to be changed manually. Following these steps to change:

I think it is no longer necessary to edit /etc/fstab. Try to undo the changes in fstab or restore your backup of this file.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• It is always a good idea to make a copy of important system files like /etc/fstab is, before doing manual changes on it. If you have no backup copy then you have to reverse the changes which you have made manually.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!