Virtualised Desktop on same machine

• Hi all,

Been snooping round here for a while but first time I need help that I can't find.

I remember this video from LTT where they use Unraid to virtualise a normal desktop environment on top of the NAS: https://youtu.be/dpXhSrhmUXo

Is this possible and what is the best solution with OMV as have had more experience/ interest with it (using Pi4)?

Also, just to confirm, I presume will need 2 GPUs; for OMV gui & plug-ins/docker and the desktop pass through

Apologies if my terminology is wrong as well

Thanks in Advance :thumbup: ,

Matt

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, you don't need two GPU. OMV doesn't need a GPU, it has a web interface. You manage OMV remotely over the network.

The easiest setup is to take a slightly overpowered desktop PC, add virtualization software, and install OMV as a VM. Also add some disks for storage.

And you and your desktop, with OMV in the background, can live happily ever after.

A more advanced setup is to take a slightly overpowered server PC. Install some hosting OS. And then install both OMV and the desktop as VMs. And access both over the network.

• Thanks for getting back to me

I would prefer to have it the other way as having OMV as a VM on Windows would lead to more downtime when Windows needs updates etc?

So i think just wondering if virtual box plugin can pass through the gpu? This sounds like the simplest way, for me at least.

I presume hosting os like proxmox/ESXi, but would that allow me to use the vm on that machine?

Bit of background: planning on building a pc for VR, but won't use it all the time as have a laptop i use for everything else (but will use steam in-home streaming for bigger games). So while I'm not on it, it can just tick over

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are many options. Some good, some bad. Do some experimenting and figure out what suits you!

Yet anoter alternative could be to use a small SBC for a OMV NAS. And the PC as a PC. A RPi4 would work fine, as long as you get a good powered external USB3 disk. Or some other SBC. I take care to avoid desktop/backup USB disk from WD or Seagate. Build your own from a powered enclosure and a big 24/7 NAS grade HDD.

A small NAS would simplify things for you greatly. You could have extra disks in the PC and use them for backups of the NAS. The NAS could run 24/7 and consume very little power compared to the full PC. You could still have OMV running in the PC as a VM, but only use it for backups of the SBC OMV NAS.

• Cool, I'll have to have a play with it

Wanted to move away from the pi due to the hdd limit, so thought i could combine it into 1.

Was going to go for wd red/ ironwolfs 4tbs and a purple and an ssd for oses

• Offizieller Beitrag

What HDD limit? With my RPi4 I have a dual HDD USB3 enclosure with 2x8TB HDDs. I have tested it with 2x12TB HDDs and it worked fine. I suspect that 2X16TB HDDs would work fine as well. There are USB enclosures with room for even more storage. I'm talking about powered enclosures for 3.5" HDDs.

The NAS will share data over GbE, that will most likely be the bandwidth bottleneck, even if you have an enclosure for several HDDs sharing a singĺe USB3 cable.

You could also flip my suggestion: Run the OMV NAS in a VM on the PC and use a small SBC OMV NAS for backups of the main NAS. Or you could try one way and then the other and see what works best for you.

Again, there are many options.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!