web interface 502 Bad Gateway until after logging in as root on console.

• first time Linux and OMV user here.
    just installed OMV 5.0.5 and the web interface viewed from a remote computer gets a 502 Bad Gateway nginx until you logon as root at the NAS console. then you can log off root, or stay logged on, it doesn't matter, the web interface works until reboot. then you have to logon as root at the NAS console again to get access.

if you reboot from the remote web interface, the NAS reboots and the web page says loading... loading... loading... (it has lost connection) and when you refresh the page you get kicked because your auth has expired.

I needed to use the NAS as a headless unit. can't login every time to allow me to work remotely. isn't this a configurational issue?

one thing that was different during install, was that the NAS doesn't have access to the internet so it couldn't download a few gigabytes of data from a Debian server, so it said you can continue but your installation will be lacking. I hope that didn't have anything to do with it because I could not get that to happen.

• no can do, I spent 1/2 a day trying to get Internet Connection Sharing to work with that thing, I don't have any hair left to pull out. if it isn't going to work without downloading a few gigabytes off the internet, it isn't going to work and that's the end of that project. trash can

• omv is a nas system, one way to install is you download the netinst debian install and run it - it will need a active connection to the internet to get all thinks working (netinst...) after that you will install omv - again over the internet.

you maybe get an image that fit your system without using internet - but - in this case its maybe better to get omv4 and not the beta tagged omv5.

and, thats my last post to you, i don't like the way you talk to the community, and you will not find a nas that works out of the box without an internet connection. buy a synology nas and it will do nothing without internet at the beginning. also your windows will not work perfekt after installing without internet to getting drivers and updates. so if you think omv will never fit your needs, just lets say "good bye".

• and, thats my last post to you, i don't like the way you talk to the community,

yeah, well I do. I'm not going to take crap from anybody. if you think I should that's just too f'in bad now isn't it.

does that jerk represent "the community"? do you represent "the community"? if all the rest of "the community" is like this, then no, I'm not going to be a part of it.

I'll wait and let somebody else tell me if you're all like this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wow, I should avoid this thread because it is going nowhere but I want to clear up a few things...

You can use OMV without an internet connection (although I wouldn't because updates are important). Using OMV 5.0.5 is probably not what I would use since there are like 10 version updates since 5.0.5 that fix bugs (OMV 5.0.5 is a beta release, 5.3.2 is current). That said, I've never seen a system that waited to start php-fpm until root logged. There is no relationship between those two things. I would guess your OS drive has something wrong physically.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• it did everything fine without an internet connection. burned the iso, installed from CD, (after logging in as root) accessed the admin web page remotely, configured stuff, created users, added a HDD and mounted it and created shares, etc.

the only problem is the inability to log in remotely unless someone logs on as root first.

I chose 5.0.5 because at sourceforge it said latest download version is 4.1.22 but then it has 5.0beta, 5.0.1beta, and 5.0.5 which doesn't say beta so I thought the "download latest version" might be outdated. (I don't see a 5.3.2 anywhere)

I haven't experienced any issues with the OS drive. I had been using it previously as a boot drive for a crash box with Win7. it's a Kingston 30GB SATA-2 SSD. don't think there should be file system or MBR issues because the install disk erases all that and starts clean with ext4. and OVM runs fine, no disk errors, just seems a configurational issue. which may be either a "configuration" that I can change, or some component of Debian that needs to be installed. I don't see how it could be the HDD.

on the other hand when the NAS box boots up there are a bunch of lines about not finding AHCI something. changing the HDD to IDE or AHCI in BIOS doesn't make that go away.

so, you are saying php-fpm is a service that must be started to allow remote access? how do you check at the console to see if the service is started? that would be a first step in troubleshooting.

I have never used Linux before. what are the commands.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I chose 5.0.5 because at sourceforge it said latest download version is 4.1.22 but then it has 5.0beta, 5.0.1beta, and 5.0.5 which doesn't say beta so I thought the "download latest version" might be outdated. (I don't see a 5.3.2 anywhere)

A new ISO isn't generated with every update of OMV. So, the first thing I generally recommend after installing is to fully update the system. So, 5.0.5 is the latest ISO.

I don't see how it could be the HDD.

You are using a device with limited writes. OMV in its default install configures data collection (collectd/rrdcache) that is write heavy and hard on flashmemory device (which is why I wrote the flashmemory plugin). If you are using an old SSD, it is very possible that sectors at the end of their write lifetime are causing weird behavior like this. I have seen it many, many times.

so, you are saying php-fpm is a service that must be started to allow remote access? how do you check at the console to see if the service is started? that would be a first step in troubleshooting.

No, just the opposite. php-fpm is a service that is configured to autostart as soon as the system is done booting. Logging in as root in no way will start this service. This is very strange behavior that I can't explain in 20+ years of being a Linux admin.

I have never used Linux before. what are the commands.

If logging in as root is "fixing" the issue, I'm not sure what to check for. I would be curious to know the output of: systemctl is-enable php7.3-fpm.service

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• it says unknown operation is-enable

noticed that I left the BIOS on UEFI boot instead of Legacy. tried putting it on Legacy. (nothing else to lose so why not) first try, it didn't throw a 502 Bad Gateway. next try, it did but refresh the browser and the login page came up. (that didn't work before) further testing has intermittent 502 Bad Gateway but refresh the page and the logon comes up.

tried to duplicate the issue with IDE/AHCI, UEFI/Legacy, connecting to the router by ethernet only, wifi only, or both at the same time and trying either, could not duplicate a solid 502 Bad Gateway. only intermittent and it resolves with refresh the page.

today the NAS box is verbose when loading and shutdown. yesterday it wasn't and I haven't tinkered with it between now and then so I don't know why it's doing that, but verbose coincides with the 502 Bad gateway issue being mostly resolved.

looks a lot more like a configurational issue.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!