resize particiones SD

• Good morning, I have installed omv 4 on a raspberry pi with a 64gb sd, when I installed it three partitions were created, one of 7gb, which is full, I think the 50gb one is not being used and I have run out of space in 7gb, how could I resize partitions? Greetings

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the 7 GB is full, you are doing something wrong. That is Bad™.

I write about this here:

Some advice moving rootfs to SSD

This is also discussed in many other threads here.

To resize partitions on the SD card, remove the SD card and take it to a Linux computer with a SD card reader and the software gparted. If you don't have another Linux computer you can boot a windows computer from a USB thumbdrive with a live Linux distribution installed. For instance Ubuntu.

It is good to have plenty of unused space on the SD card. Memory cells on the card can only be written to a limited number of times. To increase the life of a SD card the cells used are rotatated as data is written. A simple form of wear leveling. So try to avoid using the unused parts of the card. The "unused" parts are used for wear leveling.

• Thank you very much for answering, the majority of space is occupied by docker. I have looked at the sd with gparted and there is an unknown partition of 50gb, to resize it I had it removed, in principle everything worked but soon it was corrupted, so that is that partition that occupies 50gb? Fortunately I made a backup. Greetings

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not quite clear to me what you mean. To resize the rootfs you would most likely have to delete or resize the big unformatted (?) unused partition to make room for a bigger root filesystem. And then make the root filesystem bigger.

I think OMV created the big partition during installation, but left it unused. That would allow the unused memory cells to be included in the rotation of memory cells used whenever you write to the card.

But as I said, if you actually need to resize the rootfs like this, chances are that you are doing something wrong.

SD cards are extra sensitive because they are intended for cameras. Big files, photos and video, added sequentially and rarely modified on the card. Small random writes means that whole chunks of data around each small write may have to be rewritten to the card. Google "write amplification. An SSD is built to handle it, a SD card, not so much.

I suspect that you have media file metadata databases and other highly variable data in /var/lib/docker. That will keep growing in size and will wear out the SD card after a while. If it isn't already worn out...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!