I am building a NAS and I have a few questions

• I have watched TechnoDadLife's guides and that is why I am here.

I bought an old Xeon 4 core server tower with 16 GBs ram.

I need a place to put my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4k camera footage and access/edit through my network.

So my questions are (and yes, totally noob kind of stuff):
    1. Do I REALLY need to run RAID (the one that backs up the other drive)? Is that (or similar technology) what most here do? ARe hard drive failures that frequent?

2. There is a lot of opinions on filesystem types. So it probably doesnt matter unless I am doing cloning or things like that? I can just use Ext4 like in all of my other Linux installs?

Thanks for the help.
    Brian

PS I had to select my OMV but I haven't installed it yet as I am in the purchasing phase.

• Offizieller Beitrag

First and foremost... RAID IS NOT A BACKUP! You have to decide if your data is important, if it is, you need to properly back it up. Software can have errors, user mistakes, programmer errors, multiple drive failures, etc. Never trust a RAID for backup. But no, you don't really need to run a RAID if you don't want to.

https://emby.media/community/i…deleted-all-of-my-movies/

ext4 is fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.
    I think IT IS Wörth repeating.

I always point to that thread to try and point that out. Data Loss is Data Loss, but 15tb, much of it he will not be able to recover elsewhere? I'd be sick.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Do I REALLY need to run RAID (the one that backs up the other drive)? Is that (or similar technology) what most here do? ARe hard drive failures that frequent?

Drives fail somewhere between 4 and 7 years. Some may last longer but drives have died much younger, in as little as a few months. There's no knowing exactly when they'll fail but one thing is certain. Hard drive death is inevitable over time. If your data drive dies and you have no backup, everything is lost.

For the reason you mentioned which seems to be trying to preserve your data, my preference would be Rsync over RAID1. Rsync is backup - RAID1 is not. There are many ways to implement Rsync and one of the better ways is with OMV's rsnapshot plugin. Rsnapshot provides "versioned" backup, but restoring from it requires decisions and some knowledge.

An easy method of using Rsync for disk-to-disk backup is described in this -> guide, along with the reasons why backup is a good idea and better than RAID.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!