Port number for Portainer

• Hello to all,

My OVM5 server is running well with 25 Docker containers up and running.
    I have the following question:
    Is it possible to change the port number (9000) used by Portainer?
    The reason I would like to free 9000 is to use it for the Squeezebox (logitech) container that need a 9000 port (hard coded value).

Do you know if and where I can change the Portainer 9000 port ? and if this modification will be "upgrade" compatible?

Thanks for your help (really appreciated :) )

• Offizieller Beitrag

The reason I would like to free 9000 is to use it for the Squeezebox (logitech) container that need a 9000 port (hard coded value).

My understanding is it's irrelevant as you can 'bind' the container port to a port on the host so say Squeezebox 9001:9000 -> outside:inside.

• My understanding is it's irrelevant as you can 'bind' the container port to a port on the host so say Squeezebox 9001:9000 -> outside:inside.

Unfortunately this is not true(not applicable) for Squeezebox that used 9000 port for the communication between server and clients (Hard coded !)

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, port 9000 is for the GUI if you redirect it or bind it to another port on the host then it should work but then perhaps this might help as this is suggesting to 'bind' the portainer port to another port on the host. After all portainer is in itself a container.

• Offizieller Beitrag

squeezebox login running on my OMV4 host port :9001

output from the container log;

[20-02-18 09:48:43.7228] Slim::Web::HTTP::openport (169) Can't setup the listening port 9000 for the HTTP server: Illegal seek,
    [20-02-18 09:48:43.7239] Slim::Web::HTTP::openport (186) Previously configured port 9000 was busy - we're now using port 9001 instead

• OK, port 9000 is for the GUI if you redirect it or bind it to another port on the host then it should work but then perhaps this might help as this is suggesting to 'bind' the portainer port to another port on the host. After all portainer is in itself a container.

Thanks for your answer:
    Yes, I know that I should be able to run Portainer using a different port number then 9000 since it is a container.
    My question is "Where should i do this modification in OVM5 ?" (and is this modification "OVM5 upgrade compatible ?")

• Yes you can start squeezebox server docker using any port number .....but the Radio clients are searching the local area network Squeezebox servers on port number 9000 (hard coded value in the Squeezebox server / client Radios schema) ....so yes the container will start OK but the Radio (hardware) will never "see" the server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

so yes the container will start OK but the Radio (hardware) will never "see" the server.

Ok this is where you are going to have educate the uneducated :) a quick google points me to a discontinued Squeezebox Radio, if that is what you you referencing now it makes sense :)

But, and this is a big BUT, to change Portainers port you would have to stop it then delete it, or just stop it, then redeploy from the command line something like this docker run -d -p 9001:9000 -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer

• Offizieller Beitrag

As a footnote, you'll need to set the Squeezebox container restart policy to always and check the permissions on the config folder, I ended up by setting mine to 777 and set gid on the group as well, so 2777 I kept getting a permissions error in the log.

• You're welcome, see my post 5

Ok this is where you are going to have educate the uneducated :) a quick google points me to a discontinued Squeezebox Radio, if that is what you you referencing now it makes sense :)

You are welcome....
    to come back to my original question:
    "Where should i do this modification in OVM5 ?"
    (and is this modification "OVM5 upgrade compatible ?")

• Offizieller Beitrag

"Where should i do this modification in OVM5 ?"

Login to portainer select it and click stop, the Portainer GUI will disappear (I've done that by accident on my OMV5 test machine) ssh into OMV as root then run the command as above, this will deploy and start a new Portainer container, then from a browser http://<your server ip>:9001 this will start the new portainer GUI using port 9001. Once you are logged into the new GUI you can safely delete the old portainer running port 9000. Simples :)

• OK geaves, your command did work.
    Docker created a random name for the new Portainer container , but I did not lose any existing containers.
    I guess I can now remove the old (stopped) Portainer container and try to rename the new one.
    Thanks for your help !

• Offizieller Beitrag

Where should i do this modification in OVM5 ?"
    (and is this modification "OVM5 upgrade compatible ?")

The install portainer button in omv-extras is just supposed to be helpful. If it doesn't work for you, then I expect people to just use the command line to use a different port. So, I don't think there is any need to change OMV 5 (really omv-extras).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The install portainer button in omv-extras is just supposed to be helpful. If it doesn't work for you, then I expect people to just use the command line to use a different port. So, I don't think there is any need to change OMV 5 (really omv-extras).

Thanks for this information.
    I was just afraid my "manual" command would be overwritten by an OMV5 update.

• Offizieller Beitrag

was just afraid my "manual" command would be overwritten by an OMV5 update.

Only if you click the install portainer button.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The install portainer button in omv-extras is just supposed to be helpful. If it doesn't work for you, then I expect people to just use the command line to use a different port. So, I don't think there is any need to change OMV 5 (really omv-extras).

You know it's funny in that long thread discussing the buttons to install Portainer or Cockpit, you mentioned that Squeezebox ran on 9000, as did Portainer... several, myself included, "oh that won't happen to often"... lol.

I don't know why I thought of that.

• You know it's funny in that long thread discussing the buttons to install Portainer or Cockpit, you mentioned that Squeezebox ran on 9000, as did Portainer... several, myself included, "oh that won't happen to often"... lol.
    I don't know why I thought of that.

Then you will be really surprised that the second port that Squeezebox needs is 9090 (Cockpit) ! :)

• non-Portainer related LMSinOMV question for original poster:
    I have LMS running in Docker in OMV4...runs fine with the exception that 3rd party LMS plugins crap out on me (chromecast & Airplay support - I think it may be a permissions issue or folder issue or docker binding issue ie. The xml config file that LMS creates to hold plugin info seems unaccessable. Do you use 3rd part LMS plugins and if so are they working OK?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!