Retrieving data after OS disk failure

• Hi guys,

This is my first post on here and is a bit of a call for help really.
    I installed OMV about 6 month ago and everything was going on fine until my OS disk (USB stick) failed.
    I've done some searching around and decided to reinstall OMV on a new disk.
    Once the installation was complete a was able to mount my former RAID5 disk and filesystem.

However, I can't access my shared files because of permission issues (I can't connect a user, it seems to have "forgotten" the user credentials I had set up with my previous OS).
    I don't really now how I can change the permissions of my shared files because they don't appear on the web-gui.
    I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how I could retrieve the data from my NAS.

Thank you for your help !

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how I could retrieve the data from my NAS.

It's still there, there is nothing to retrieve, you have done a clean install so you will have to set up your shares again and any users and permissions.

• But I don't get how I can access the files.
    All my data was stored into different shared folders that only certain users could access.
    However I can't access those folders and even if I create new users or new shared folders, the former ones don't appear on my computer when I log in using the new user credentials..

PS : sorry I'm new to OMV :/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also on the web-gui my previous shared folders don't appear under service -> any typer of service.

To get your shared folders back... Go to Shared Folders, click Create... Name the share, choose a volume. Where it asks for the path, click the little folder beside that, and a "tree" will pop up, just click on the share you want it to point at. This will add the share back to the webUI, and then you can add it to SMB, NFS, etc.

Your permission issue... assuming you have omv-extras installed. There's a plugin called "resetperms". Install it. Then go to Shared Folders, click the Reset Permissions tab, choose your share from the drop down, and set your permission (Default is Admin: Read/Write, Users: Read/Write, Others: Read Only).. then also enable the "Clear All ACL's" trigger.... then click Save and let it do it's thing.

Now, create your users, set your permissions on the share, etc.. just like you would on a brand new share.

Rinse/Repeat for all your shares.

• Offizieller Beitrag

the former ones don't appear on my computer when I log in using the new user credentials..

They won't you have to re create them, so an an example if you had a movie folder on your raid create a movie folder in OMV under shared folders, but be careful, e.g. Movies is not the same as movies.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!