Increase storage with RAID 0?

• I think these warnings like "Dont use RAID0, you are going to lose your data" cause many people thinking "Oh ok, then I dont do that and my data is save".

Did I say "Don´t use RAID 0"? I didn think so. I have merely referred to a situation that I believe many people are unaware of.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Did I say "Don´t use RAID 0"? I didn think so. I have merely referred to a situation that I believe many people are unaware of.

Yeah but you said the rest of it and thats my point. No one looses any data because of RAID0 but because they did not have a backup. This constant general reference "under RAID0 your data is in danger" without further information, seen many times, is misleading.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah but you said the rest of it and thats my point. No one looses any data because of RAID0 but because they did not have a backup.

TBH I am going to agree with @cabrio_leo the point being made was the consequences/downfall of using Raid 0 if one drive fails then you will lose all data across both drives unlike Raid 1 and Raid 5 which will allow one drive failure and the Raid would still be recoverable.

The point you should be making is, "if you must use a Raid setup then ensure you have a backup".

Many noob users coming to OMV setting up their first NAS believe that a Raid option is a must do without understanding what it is or how to manage it or how to protect from data loss. You've also got noobs who want to set up a Raid on a RPi, why? because they've watched joe geek on you tube set one up.

• Yes, that is actually exactly what I mean. I get @cabrio_leos point too, but I am thinking of all the noobs (like me actually) reading tons of forum posts and comming to the conclusion they need a fancy RAID with parity, but backup? What is it? So maybe some noob will come around here, see this discussion and get leos point but also the fact that backup is always important. That was my mission here. :D

• What is it? So maybe some noob will come around here, see this discussion and get leos point but also the fact that backup is always important.

If a noob comes around here and reads all the discussions then he will also see the message "RAID is not a backup". I know a lot of threads and posts where this statement is mentioned over and over again. And yes, you are right, this cannot be mentioned often enough: RAID is not a backup. But many users read it but don´t want to take a note of it.

Also RAID 0 plays a special role below the RAID variants, because there is absolutely no redundancy and the data cannot be recovered. If one drive fails it must be replaced AND it is always necessary to restore from backup.
    This justifies a reference to this.

And yes, data backup is important and no RAID variant can replace it.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

So maybe some noob will come around here, see this discussion and get leos point but also the fact that backup is always important. That was my mission here.

Well all I can say is good luck with that. I've written guides for NOOB's that spell out the RAID fallacy, stress the need for backup, and even guide them through a simple but effective backup implementation. (Along with administration considerations and details - page 58 in the current OMV5 guide.) Many still attempt to set up RAID, out of the gate.

I attribute much of the misunderstanding about what RAID is to Synology, QNAP and other ready made NAS OEM's who tout RAID as part of their features list, but include a reference to backup in the proverbial fine print. (There are other sources of dis-information such at youtube guru's and Internet How-To's where the default build includes RAID.)
    Of course, what end user doesn't understand is their OEM's lame axx tech support will be long over before their hard drive(s) fail. Then, without backup because "RAID" was supposed to protect them, some users realize that they're in a hole they unknowingly dug for themselves.

I don't know... Maybe I need to get more creative with the doc's, maybe include a sound file and loop a dramatic segment from the Ride of the Valkyries when covering backup and RAID. :) It's a perplexing problem.

• I just noticed that we both had quite the same discussion in my thread about ZFS Requirements. lol

Right now I'm playing around with a BTRFS setup with 2 stripe disks. The advantage is that I do not have to install any extra plugins. If a disk fails, I have to use my backup anyway. The actual disadvantage of the stripe is that it takes twice as long to restore the backup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!