OMV freezes after couple of hours of IP camera continuously saving video data to NFS share

• Hello,

I am running OMV 5.3.2-1 on Ryzen 3 1200, 16GB ram. I have an nsf share as Read/Write, and extra options: subtree_check,insecure,sync,all_squash,anonuid=1003,anongid=100. Client (HIKVision ip camera) can mount that share alright, and works ok initially after OMV reboot. But after a while (matter of hours) OVM freezes completely. Oddly enough, before I've decided to try OMV, I had standard Debian buster installed with NFS kernel server, and it was doing pretty much the same thing. To be fair I don't even know where to start figuring it out. I don't see anything obvious in the logs. Really I am looking for anyone with similar issue.

• Could it be a hardware problem? Temperature maybe?
    If the system freezes could you still reach it by SSH console?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• I guess it could, however otherwise everything works ok. And the hardware it's brand new. Without the camera saving to NFS share, I've never had a freeze. Camera saves data at the rate of about 1GB per hour. I've tried onboard NIC (RTL8168) but I also have Dual port Intel E1G42ET 82576 Chip (by 10Gtek) - same results. When it happens, I am not able to access by SSH or even ping it on any NICs. It doesn't reboot itself, just hangs. It needs hard reset. One thing I noticed is in OMV performance statistics it shows page cache growing at about the same rate as data is written to NFS - should it be like that since share is set to sync? CPU load stays below 1%, temp at about 50C. CPU and mem is at default settings in bios.
    I have already tried different RAM, and I am going to try NFS on different drive, and also OMV v4 just to be sure. I am not able to try different CPU/MB though.

• and also OMV v4 just to be sure.

it shows page cache growing at about the same rate as data is written to NFS

If it works with OMV 4 and not with OMV 5 I would assume that there is some kind of memory leak.
    How much RAM is in your system?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• 16GB. First time it crashed, page cache got to 7,4GB, then went down to 0, then has grown to about 700MB then crashed. 2nd crash was at only about 3,7GB. Prior to trying OMV I was monitoring previous debian installation with saidar over SSH, and at least couple of crashes memory utilization just before the crash was at about 8GB. Anyway I am going to do some more testing and report back.

• I found the solution on one of the unraid forums: it was about C-States: in the BIOS I had to disable "Global C-state control" and set "Power Supply Idle control" to "Typical current idle". Mainboard is Gigabyte B450 Aorus M, and options are in M.I.T > Advanced frequency settings > Advanced CPU Core settings. It's been ok for over 48 hours now :)

• Thank you for sharing the solution. Never heard about a "Global C-state control" setting.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!