BTRFS no space left - kernel 5.4 bug

• I am still playing around with btrfs and encountered some kind of that "no disk space available" behavior. Actually it is slightly different. I am getting no errors or so but since today, omv is simply not able to detect the correct amount of total storage space. Current setup is a simple Stripe of 2 16 TB disks. For the last days and weeks, omv's disk usage graphs was showing correct data but stopped doing so some hours ago.

I checked the output of the btrfs disk usage tools and I think it looks good. Any idea?
    Edit: Or is it just the common "no disk space bug" and I misunderstood its behavior? I was assuming the unallocated space is auto allocated when needed..

• So it seems to be kind of that known "unusual no space left" bug. Complete rebalance is running since half a day now (about 50% finished) and OMV disk usage statistics shows that:

When rebalancing has finished I'm going to try that "btrfs filesystem resize max" command. I found some topics on other web forums where that helped to trigger btrfs allocating free space. Actually, it should do that automatically.

EDIT:
    Did some further investigation and it is actually not the common "no space left bug", but a known kernel 5.4 bug. "zero free space issue". Sounds similar but is different. Workaround is to use kernel 4.x or 5.3. Patch is under Review. Maybe this thread can help anyone who is encountering the same behavior.

• Im experiencing the same issue with no space left. i tried using filters with this command

>>sudo btrfs fi balance start -dusage=5 /sharedfolders/documents

but it didnt seem to do anything, but did release so chunnks of lost data.

so i had to rebalanced the full drive using command

>> btrfs balance start /btrfsdrive

took 2 +days. seemed to have worked but after a days use and a heavy copy, the drive and cache have filled up again...

Im on vesion 5.3.2-1 (usul)

I tried lookign at my performance graphs, strangle they all blank, CPU and drive usage.

Any other suggestions, i dont want to be repeating this balancing command and exhausting wait every 2 days

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!