Useless SMART error is being alerted for NVMe drive

• Hi,
    OMV5 (5.3.2-1) is logging a "useless" NVMe property that leads to scary SMART alert emails that make me worry for no reason.
    Here is what I am talking about.

This drive is new, and I've checked its health with other tools, and obviously it's doing great.

The report is referring to Error Information Log Entries. A quick search reveals it is not due to the drive health.

Some interesting discussion here from bugs.debian.org.

I am no expert of this tool but does somebody know what could be done, like tellling the utility to ignore this value (maybe it's not NVMe aware)?
    Honestly I want SMART enabled for this drive, but only for real warnings.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Honestly I want SMART enabled for this drive, but only for real warnings.

Personally, I don't think you need smart for nvme especially if you leave some unpartitioned space on the drive. Most nvme drives are rated to write their entire capacity at least once a day for at least a few years. You should never hit this unless you are doing something crazy with it. If you just check the life left every six months after about 3 years, you would be probably know when it is going to need to be replaced.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The issue must be fixed upstream (Debian or smartmontools). The OMV project can't do anything here. SImply create a filter rule in your email client that redirects those emails into trash in the meanwhile.

I already updated smartmontols to the actual latest version for another issue - wasn't detecting the NVMe drive for SMART reads, so it has something to do with Debian.

Personally, I don't think you need smart for nvme especially if you leave some unpartitioned space on the drive. Most nvme drives are rated to write their entire capacity at least once a day for at least a few years. You should never hit this unless you are doing something crazy with it. If you just check the life left every six months after about 3 years, you would be probably know when it is going to need to be replaced.

Thanks for this advice, I will leave some unpartitioned space on the drive, disable SMART reading and rely on the hdsentinel tool to send me scheduled emails.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Today I added new controller Maiwo (sata ssd + nvme => pci-e) and noticed that I can see Smart info on OMV GUI only for sata ssd, for nvme it will be empty, but command

smartctl -x /dev/nvme0n1p1 will return me all info, of course I can from time to time get this info by bash script, but is it possible to see it on UI?

I already updated smartmontols to the actual latest version for another issue - wasn't detecting the NVMe drive for SMART reads, so it has something to do with Debian.

How did you do that? Because I can see smartmontools is already the newest version (7.2-1).

• Offizieller Beitrag

but is it possible to see it on UI?

Did you look at the Storage -> SMART -> Devices -> Details -> Extended Information tab? I can see the smart output there.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it possible?

You didn't actually look at the output, did you? smart output from a regular drive shows a list of attributes and their values, While the nvme smart output has lots of info, there is no list of attributes and their values.

• You didn't actually look at the output, did you? smart output from a regular drive shows a list of attributes and their values, While the nvme smart output has lots of info, there is no list of attributes and their values.

;) of course I have looked at it, just from my windows (CrystalDiskInfo) experience I got used that everything displays the same and it doesn`t matter nvme or hdd.

• Offizieller Beitrag

just from my windows (CrystalDiskInfo) experience

Windows... yuck.

• How did you do that? Because I can see smartmontools is already the newest version (7.2-1).

If you look at the date, was a long time ago.
    At the time we were running OMV5/Debian 10 which used an outdated version of smartmontools.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!