Sharedfolders

• macom I intentionally want to stay on this thread for less confusion, so others can get a concise explanation for this change. gderf are the "problems" you were referring to discussed in this thread?

If I understand correctly, this change means that a shared folder is created, but it's just under /srv/storage-drive-ugly-name/<sharedfoldername> now as opposed to under /sharedfolders/?

Moving forward, how should we be handling shared folders as best practice? TechnoDadLife are you able to chime in on this?

• macom I intentionally want to stay on this thread for less confusion, so others can get a concise explanation for this change. gderf are the "problems" you were referring to discussed in this thread?

If I understand correctly, this change means that a shared folder is created, but it's just under /srv/storage-drive-ugly-name/<sharedfoldername> now as opposed to under /sharedfolders/?

Moving forward, how should we be handling shared folders as best practice? TechnoDadLife are you able to chime in on this?

There are far too many threads that deal with problems associated with Shared Folders.

You still don't understand what's happening here and apparently how Shared Folders worked in the past.

The past behavior was that when you created a Shared Folder you gave it an arbitrary name of your choice and you specified an existing folder that is located on one of your data drives to associate with the share. If that folder didn't already exist on the data drive, then it was created for you on the data drive. Once this was done the share name became available in drop down lists for selection in other areas of OMV. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THIS HAS CHANGED <-- Read this again. Additionally a new folder having the share name you selected was created under /sharedfolders/ on the rootfs and was bind mounted into the filesystem. This is where the problems began to surface because these folders were being used in ways not initially envisioned.

What is different now is that a new folder having the name you selected for the share is no longer created under /sharedfolders/ on the rootfs. That is all that is different going forward. If you still want this behavior to continue, then the feature can be enabled via an environment variable described elsewhere. However, you need to be aware of what constitutes inappropriate use of these folders under /sharedfolders/ and that you are on your own if you misuse them, knowingly or otherwise. Certain uses of these folders are not supported regardless of users continuing to enable creating them under /sharedfolders/.

I can not offer any more clarification about this.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• ryecoaaron I have been used to using /sharedfolders mount paths for so long (per the direction of folks on the forum) that I've come to believe something "bad" will happen if I use the real mount paths. Is there anything to be concerned with if I switch mappings from the now disabled /sharedfolders to the true paths?

For example, all of my dockers now no longer function because the path they were referencing (/sharedfolders) is now empty. The true mount paths are available so it's only a matter of updating the docker configs - but I wanted to double check because, again, I have had it ingrained in me to use /sharedfolders.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nothing bad will happen. The sharedfolders are just a bind mount to the absolute path. You are just cutting out the middle man.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.
  • Just want to say this was a big D move on the devs part. I have used for years when I was on OMV 2.x. When I redid the entire server around 3.5ish time and got in to using docker and other programs I had everything linked through the sharedfolders area and have continued to do so with each new update/upgrade. I recently update and rebooted and it wiped the sharesfolders binding and I spent over 2 hours trying to fix the issue thinking one of 8TB raid drives died at the same time as my backup pool or if some how the update/upgrade borked my entire system. I finally found this thread detailing the change you guys did without any notice to end users at all. I'm rarely on the forums and don't see these tiny threads with discussions that wipe out my entire setup and cause a panic attack and stress.

The fact that such a substantial change was made and will effects end users without notice is a very messed up way to go about this.

Modpic.gif

Dell Precision T3500
    Processor:
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.2ghz
    Memory:
    26GB RAM
    Kernel: Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64
    Version: 5.6.2-1 (Usul) Debian Buster [From Fresh Install of 5]

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just want to say this was a big D move on the devs part. I have used for years when I was on OMV 2.x. When I redid the entire server around 3.5ish time and got in to using docker and other programs I had everything linked through the sharedfolders area and have continued to do so with each new update/upgrade. I recently update and rebooted and it wiped the sharesfolders binding and I spent over 2 hours trying to fix the issue thinking one of 8TB raid drives died at the same time as my backup pool or if some how the update/upgrade borked my entire system. I finally found this thread detailing the change you guys did without any notice to end users at all. I'm rarely on the forums and don't see these tiny threads with discussions that wipe out my entire setup and cause a panic attack and stress.

The fact that such a substantial change was made and will effects end users without notice is a very messed up way to go about this.

I'm sorry to hear that, but the removing of the /sharedfolders feature has been announced with the OMV5 release, see https://www.openmediavault.org/?p=2685 and it is mentioned in the changelog https://github.com/openmediava…ult/debian/changelog#L676.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just want to say this was a big D move on the devs part. I have used for years when I was on OMV 2.x. When I redid the entire server around 3.5ish time and got in to using docker and other programs I had everything linked through the sharedfolders area and have continued to do so with each new update/upgrade. I recently update and rebooted and it wiped the sharesfolders binding and I spent over 2 hours trying to fix the issue thinking one of 8TB raid drives died at the same time as my backup pool or if some how the update/upgrade borked my entire system. I finally found this thread detailing the change you guys did without any notice to end users at all. I'm rarely on the forums and don't see these tiny threads with discussions that wipe out my entire setup and cause a panic attack and stress.

Given this post, your signature is very interesting.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!