[RESOLVED] Migrating to OMV with existing drives

• Hi,

Forgive me as I am new here and I am very new to Servers in general (largely self taught and relying on the web). :?

I built a home server built on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and placed Webmin on the front end with a few other apps. It was all working fine but I wanted to do more and with my very limited command line skills decided to make the move to OMV and benefit more from the webgui.

So I wiped my system drive and installed OMV 0.5 all fine and so for love it except I have 1 issue. I naively thought that I could just re-plug in my drives into OMV they would recognise automatically and I would have no problems. But obviously I do. :oops:

When I look at the Filesystem folder it shows my drives in their full capacity and correct disk usage.

But when I mount this on my Mac it shows as empty and the size of the drive on the spare capacity of drive. Which gives me the impression that there is some kind of partition that I cant see.

I have tried to look for partitions using testdisk which got me out of trouble before, but I could only see 1 primary partition and all my files there. To be honest I dont really know what I am looking at and after searching the web with no luck hope that someone here can help.

Thank you in advance.

S

• The filesystems section only recognizes filesystems unless a drive is blank. In the picture you show you see the partitions you create before with Ubuntu. You need to mount them in the filesystems section. If they were blank you would have have to format them and then mount. How did you want to use them in your setup, via nfs or smb/cifs???

If you don't know already these are partitions or filesystems:
    /dev/sdf1
    /dev/sdg1
    /dev/sdh1

If the drives were blank you would see /dev/sdf, /dev/sdg, /dev/sdh. Explain a little more what you are trying to do.

• Have you got your screen shots around the wrong way?

When you say you are mounting on your Mac, are you mounting directly? The screen shot kinda looks that way... if so, OSX doesn't support the EXT4 filesystem natively, so it won't recognise the content of the drive correctly (and may have even prompted you to format).

• Thanks both for coming back and sorry for not being clearer. And yes the screenshots are the wrong way around which is not helpful :oops:

Basically they are x3 2TB drives and all have files on them that I want to keep. When I created Ubuntu server I just formatted the drives as ext 4 without any partitions.

So then I decided to make the move to OMV and disconnected sdf sdg and sdh, formatted sda (the system disk) and installed OMV. Then I connected all the drives back in again. Leaving me with the files system screenshot.

I know the files are still there as the file system screenshot shows them but also using testdisk i can see them there. So taking sdf as the example I have 878GB available.

So the other screenshot shows that when I mount sdf over smb on my Mac it is empty with only 943GB of space. Where are the 1TB of files that are in the drive.

I'm connecting to my OMV server over my lan network.

Hope that helps explain a little better.

• Have you set up your smb shares? If you run samba, but don't set up any shares, you'll be able to mount the drives but won't actually see any content.

If you haven't already done so, set up the folders you wish to share (under Access Rights Management), then make them available over smb (under Services). Also, make sure your user can access the shares (alternatively, make sure the shares are publicly available).

• Set up a shared folder for each disk. When asked for a path use "/" to use the full disk. Then create "shares" for the individual shared folders under SMB/CIFS, AFP or FTP.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Sorry, Im not trying to mount OMV directly onto my OS (at least no intentionally). I am mounting over samba and setup samba on OMV (http://scl-nas/...), but by the sounds of it I must have my shares setup wrong then.

To be honest I didn't think to look there and was focusing my attention on the drive and filesystem itself because that was the issue I had before when moving from FreeNas to Ubuntu ie a different filesystem. Noob I know.

I will have a look at my settings and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for the help, at least now I will be looking in the right place.

• YES!!!! :P:D

We are there. I checked the SMB setup and all seemed to be fine. So I re-checked the shared folders settings under the Access Right Management Section.

I had the path setup to "F/" "G/" and "H/" for sdf1 sdg1 and sdh1 respectively. I change the path of sdf1 to just "/" as David suggested and bingo I can get access to all the files on sdf1

Here is a screenshot of the fixed sdf1 and the incorrect path on sdg and sdh in case I havent described it well.

You guys are amazing considering I was looking in completely the wrong place. Who would have thought 1 letter would give me so much hassle...lol

Thank you so much.

Scott

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!