Portainer/Docker issues

• I've been running OMV5 for a few weeks now and had almost everything I wanted running in docker (sabnzbd, radarr, sonarr, jellyfin, etc.) through Portainer. One last thing I was trying to get working was a bittorrent client running through a vpn. I tried several different options but was never able to get one working. I was trying again tonight and again failed but something seeming horrible happened - in deleting the images from my failed attempts, I somehow have broken Portainer. I've rebooted my server but portainer does not load. I tried to install from OMV-extras again but it errors out. And worse, none of my containers seem to be running. There is nothing in the logs for the past 30 min or so. When I do try to install Portainer again I get this message:
    Docker storage :: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-work/docker/
    Opt-out :: 1
    arch :: amd64
    option :: portainer
    state :: install
    extras :: 5.2.4
    DNS OK.
    No portainer containers or images to remove.
    Pulling and starting portainer ...
    Something went wrong trying to pull and start portainer ...
    Done.

when I look in my docker and container config folders it looks like everything is there but none of it is running. I'm hoping this is an easy thing to fix?

Please let me know if there is any further information I can provide and thank you in advance for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

All you really need to do is reinstall Portainer from the sounds of it. This won't hurt anything, the new install will pick up your current docker containers (assuming you didn't do something to them as well). As long as you haven't customized ports, etc. for Portainer, just log into the OMV webUI, click on omv-extras and then the docker tab. Click the Portainer button and click "remove Portainer".. when it's done, click it again, and click Install Portainer (you might be able to just click Install from the beginning, but I'm not sure if it will error out if Portainer is currently running, but just not accessible). Then just go back to Portainer and create your username/password again, and all will be good.

When you go to the Portainer URL.. you might have a browser cache issue... most browsers just hold Cntrl and click Refresh to resolve this... then log in.

• Do you use the proxmox-kernel? If yes, portainer is not working under this kernel. I’ve installed on three different machines the proxmox kernel and couldn‘t get portainer to run. On the standard Debian kernel everything runs fine.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Huberer ()

• I'm still not sure exactly what happened but what ended up fixing it was either restarting or hitting Install again on Docker in OMV-Extras. Still not sure what I did to Docker to have whatever the issue was persist through a reboot. Oh well. I appreciate the help and am VERY glad all my containers weren't gone.

Thanks!

• But just to know. Which kernel do you use?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• I'm not really sure - whatever installs standard with OMV5 I guess?

In the shell run:

uname -a

Or login to the WebUI and read the System Information screen.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks. It looks that you're using the proxmox kernel.
    I really don't understand why is portainer working on some users with proxmox kernel and on three systems of mine (2 real machines and one VM) not. Really, really curious .....

• Thanks. It looks that you're using the proxmox kernel.
    I really don't understand why is portainer working on some users with proxmox kernel and on three systems of mine (2 real machines and one VM) not. Really, really curious .....

I thought the proxmox kernels had pve in their names?

I'm running 5.4.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 too and Portainer works fine.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I'm running 5.4.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 too and Portainer works fine.

Is this the proxmox kernel or did you install the kernel by hand?

• Is this the proxmox kernel or did you install the kernel by hand?

This is a backports kernel (bpo). They were made available if the backports repo was enabled on OMV4, but IIRC, more recently they are used as the default. I'm on OMV5.

--

• This is a backports kernel (bpo). They were made available if the backports repo was enabled on OMV4, but IIRC, more recently they are used as the default. I'm on OMV5.

Thanks for the info. So the last hour I did a fresh installation and it looks like that I've overseen the backport option under OMV v5. I've enabled it and now I run the backport kernel v5.4. And, can you imagine, portainer runs fine. So, there's is something with the proxmox kernel which hinders the installation of portainer.
    So the problem is solved for me. Thanks again

• Has anyone reported the error that it will be fixed?

I have the error.

Because: Proxmox for ZFS.

Portainer and yacht don't work! I don't let the pages open!

LOG PROXMOX install:

Supported kernel found

Get:1 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives InRelease

Ign:1 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives InRelease

Get:2 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Release

Ign:2 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Release

Get:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages

Ign:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Packages

Get:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en

Ign:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives Translation-en

Hit:5 http://linux.teamviewer.com/deb stable InRelease

Hit:6 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease

Hit:7 http://packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease

Hit:8 https://download.docker.com/linux/debian buster InRelease

Hit:9 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease

Hit:10 http://download.proxmox.com/debian buster InRelease

Ign:11 https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/usul buster InRelease

Hit:12 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease

Hit:13 https://openmediavault.github.io/packages usul InRelease

Ign:14 https://dl.bintray.com/openmed…in-developers/usul-extras buster InRelease

Get:15 https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/usul buster Release [4363 B]

Get:16 https://dl.bintray.com/openmed…in-developers/usul-extras buster Release [3538 B]

Fetched 7901 B in 1s (8885 B/s)

Reading package lists...

Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

pve-headers-5.4 is already the newest version (6.3-1).

pve-headers is already the newest version (6.3-1).

pve-kernel-5.4 is already the newest version (6.3-1).

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Set 5.4.73-1-pve' as default... 0

Please reboot to use the new kernel.

Fertig.

Portainer install log:

Docker storage :: /var/lib/docker

Agent port:: 8000

Web port:: 9000

Yacht port:: 8001

arch :: amd64

option :: portainer

state :: install

extras :: 5.4.2

DNS OK.

Stopping portainer ...

portainer

Removing portainer ...

portainer

Removing portainer/portainer-ce image ...

Untagged: portainer/portainer-ce:latest

Untagged: portainer/portainer-ce@sha256:0ab9d25e9ac7b663a51afc6853875b2055d8812fcaf677d0013eba32d0bf0e0d

Deleted: sha256:a0a227bf03ddc8b88bbb74b1b84a8a7220c8fa95b122cbde2a7444f32dc30659

Deleted: sha256:5d8ccdb2e9be5d114307c980f04f6b9d9b8d7f6ebbb7a7c323d76525408e31eb

Deleted: sha256:dd4969f97241b9aefe2a70f560ce399ee9fa0354301c9aef841082ad52161ec5

Pulling and starting portainer/portainer-ce ...

8bfd307cdd665dbb7af62724008eb6f98411c15b7e36d7ff74d1b218ebf8a438

Fertig.

would be grateful for a workaround

@ryecoaaron Do you have an idea? get proxmox to run with portrainer 2.0?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have an idea? get proxmox to run with portrainer 2.0?

I have three systems running the proxmox kernel and portainer works just fine. None of your output shows any problems.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello ryecoaaron

how can I show you that it doesn't work

If I install normal kernels, it goes without problems.

I can send you everything. you just have to tell me what you need!

there are already two of us with the error so there is something.

This is definitely not a user error,

BUG Instructions:

Install OMV on the latest debian

Install PROXMOX kernel

reboot

del other kernls!

reboot

Install ZFS

reboot

Install Docker

reboot

Install Portrainer

Reboot.

Portrainer does not boot no web GUI available.

Yacht the same! not working web GUI

Docker has started and says okay.

The other two are at reboot are not fully loaded!

but if i use the oregial kernel, both go without problems!

why is this done immediately after all user errors .. what's that!

• Offizieller Beitrag

there are already two of us with the error so there is something.

People do lots of things to their systems to make things not work. The plugin can't fix everything. I have no idea why it would work with one kernel vs another kernel. The kernel shouldn't affect anything. Your screenshot shows that the container is restarting. What is the output of: docker logs portainer

And another thing, while it is easier to run zfs with the proxmox kernel because you don't have to compile the zfs module, it is by no means required.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• here is the issue :). ne the system is fresh I wonder what that has to do with PROXMOX.!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You probably have something else listening on port 8000. That is why the plugin allows you to change it. Try port 8001.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!