OMV Migration to a new boot device

• Hello together,

I have running an OMV 5.x system. The OMV system is installed on a NVME Boot device and the Data Array consists 3x8TB drives as RAID5.

Now I want change the NVME Boot device to a USB stick (I need the PCI Slot from the NVME raiser card). For that I would reinstall OMV on the USB stick. But how can I integrate/mount my old Data Array? And what is with all configured Smart Values (Spindown etc.) they are stored in the drives?

Is there a possibility to migrate or no-way ?

Thanks for your help!
    Mario

• Offizieller Beitrag

The most straight forward way would be to document any special users, groups, shares, services, settings or configurations, perhaps by using screen dumps.

Then turn off the system and disconnect the raid.

Then install OMV to the correct location and update it.

Then turn off and reconnect the raid.

Then boot using the new root fs. Add and mount the existing raid. And restore all previous configs and settings.

Most likely it is possible to do all this much faster by simply cloning and transplanting the root filesystem. And make minor adjustments to config files. But that may also be more likely to fail, if you don't know exactly what you are doing. If you simply replaced the boot device with another identical, then cloning might be much simpler. For instance it is very easy to clone a SD card or a USB stick. So make sure you get at least one spare identical USB stick, just in case.

As always when doing major surgery on any computer system, it is prudent to make sure that everything is fully backed up and verified as correct BEFORE doing anything. Prudent is a nicer word for "lazy". If you feel for a lot of extra work and worry, or don't value the data on the raid, feel free not to make sure you have good backups first.

• You describe a lot of thing what I can do. But are this steps in the OMV GUI or on the native Linux shell? I think it is not a problem to unmount the RAID5 filesystem and install the OMV on the new USB stick.
    But how does recognize the "new" OMV, that there is a healthy RAID array? Is there a way to import this in the OMV GUI? I believe the old config file will doesn't help me. All of the system links will be change from /dev/nvme to /dev/usb or other.

Without backup I would never do this mirgration - I also don't jump without a parachute :)

Thanks again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would just clone the drive to the USB drive using Clonezilla. After a reboot everything should work as before (unless there is anything special due to nvme I am not aware of). if not, you can still do a fresh installation to the USB drive. The RAID should be detected during first boot. Mount the filesystem and start configuration of the rest.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!