Fresh install problems

• Fresh Install. Boots up to a login text screen asking for Login and Password. Nothing is working. Keeps telling me to use the default web control panel administrator account. User name : admin Password: openmediavault

Tried that , admin and root password from set up...everything. all fail. Anything I am missing here?

• If you are trying to login via the black with white letters terminal screen you are in the wrong place for most use cases.

You need to point your web browser to the machine's IP address and login there.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks for the help, new to Linux and servers... so forgive my naivety but you have to start somewhere.

Was able to log in to the web interface from another terminal. What is the black and white terminal login for and how do you log in? admin and sudo password? That does not work either for me.

I guess I should do a few things that I have really no idea how to do but will explore separately. Regrettably I have limited bandwidth and internet due to rural location so this is why I am setting up a server to begin with.

1. Set up the OMV with a static IP and reserve that on my network server
    2. Set up the folders to share from the OMV server
    3. Set up the users
    4. Set up a network USB printer with the CUPS plug in

Thanks in advance, any non youtube pages like this help forum are so valuable to us in the woods...so to speak. Appreciate your time and service helping us.

• Offizieller Beitrag

you have to start somewhere.

We all did ;)

Once you have invested a certain amount of time to configure the system and everything is (still) working, you should make a clone of your OS drive.
    So if something goes wrong you can easily restore from the clone and try again.

• The admin user does not have shell access so login via terminal or ssh is not possible. The admin user can only log in via the web interface.

If you want to login via terminal or ssh use the username root and the root password you created during the install.

Creating a regular non-privileged user is also advisable.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I'm off to the races with my new downloaded guide to beginning.... so just to let you know, it took me 7 minutes to download the 3MB guide. That's what I am dealing with so youtube is out of the question. The only thing streaming here is the bear in the stream.

so, just to show how helpful, it has already answered my first question:

At the login prompt type root
    When prompted enter your root password.
    At the # prompt type ip addr

Appreciate the advice I will certainly take and thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!