OMV4 to OMV5 with Plex

• I have been running OMV4 for the last couple years. It is a basic bare bones operation and the ONLY function I have been using it for is SMB file sharing with a Windows 10 Pro ethernet network.

I am wanting to get into Plex. I am considering installing Plex with Docker, as suggested by TDL, versus plugins. In what studying I have done so far I think I am seeing that it might be to my benefit to move to OMV5 and then install OMV5. I will use TDL's [(OMV5) Stable Complete Install and Setup including Portainer] video to install OMV5 if I proceed.

I have a spare Kingston 120 GB Solid State drive that I am considering installing OMV5 onto.

Here's my main concern: Obviously I'm not near as advanced as most of you on this forum. That said, do I have to set everything back up again regarding shares -OR- is there a way to just use the new OMV5 install to connect with the current file system located and serving from a single 4TB hard drive. Seems kinda spooky to reinvent the wheel as far as my current file structure is concerned.

Just trying to figure out how to proceed without a ton of mistakes to deal with during or following a new OMV5 install. Will appreciate any help you're willing to give.

Thanks, Kai

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there a way to just use the new OMV5 install to connect with the current file system located and serving from a single 4TB hard drive.

You can create the shared folders and point them to the existing folders on the drive.

So in the GUI of OMV you have to set up everything from scratch. But you can use the data from the existing drives.
    It is helpful to make screenshots from your existing configuration and use them as a reference.

• You can create the shared folders and point them to the existing folders on the drive.
    So in the GUI of OMV you have to set up everything from scratch. But you can use the data from the existing drives.
    It is helpful to make screenshots from your existing configuration and use them as a reference.

I see. Good idea on the screenshots. Next questions:

Am I correct in considering the right/preferred move by moving up to OMV5?

I would imagine if something fails I could just plug back in the SSD with the OMV4 install on it. Correct?

The new SSD with the OMV5 has no altering effect upon the 4TB drive, does it?

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Am I correct in considering the right/preferred move by moving up to OMV5?

Yes. I use it on both of my system. Works fine. Also Aaron is recommending it.

I would imagine if something fails I could just plug back in the SSD with the OMV4 install on it. Correct?

Correct.

The new SSD with the OMV5 has no altering effect upon the 4TB drive, does it?

Correct.
    Just be careful during installation. You don't want to install OMV on the wrong drive ;)
    Consider pulling the plug from the data drives for the installation.

• Just be careful during installation. You don't want to install OMV on the wrong drive ;)
    Consider pulling the plug from the data drives for the installation.

Great. Okay. I think I feel pretty confident in all of this now. Thank you macom for guidance and confirmation. If anything else comes to mind (from anyone) - please post.

Have a good day.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!