Web Based File Manager?

• Hi all,

Coming from a Synology NAS, there is one thing I still haven't found a replacement for: their web based File Manager called "File Station".

I am going to use NextCloud for general usage and sharing, but it's not so focused on file management tasks like "File Station" or a real file manager is.

As an example, Nextcloud by default doesn't extract archives, and even with the plugin enabled its support is somewhat flaky.

Do you have any suggestions or tackle the issue in a different way? I got used to a such powerful tool In a web browser!

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• I think I've found a good File Manager:
    https://filerun.com/

It can be installed via Docker, obviously.
    Do you have other options?

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use Midnight Commander. It is a classic 2-panel file manager that you can run in a SSH shell. Old-school. Smells just like Norton Commander from prehistory but can do a lot more. You can have one pane be a local folder and another a remote folder over ftp. Or over SSH. You can unzip or zip or edit files, set owner and access rights or whatever.

sudo apt install mc

mc

• I'm going to ssh from my desktop computer to owm(rp3b+), if I use midnight commander to move a big file between two USB drives, do I have to keep the computer on until it finishes moving or can I turn the desktop off after I give the move order?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Midnight Commander does not use any desktop environment, only a text based shell. So it works fine directly on a OMV NAS without any desktop environment. Or you can run mc in a terminal window on a client computer. Or you can run mc over SSH on the OMV NAS in a terminal window open on some computer running some desktop environment. In the LAN or from the other side of the world.

If you use the screen utility you can create a persistent shell environment that will keep running commands, including mc moving files, even if you close the connection to the shell. Close the desktop shell window or terminate the ssh connection or whatever. Later you can reconnect with the persistent shell to see if mc is finished.

Basic use:

(open a SSH shell)
    screen
    mc
    (start moving files)
    (close the connection to the SSH shell, possibly turn off the computer)
    (open a SSH shell)
    screen -r
    (check if mc is done)
    (close mc)
    exit

screen can do a lot more than this. Create many persistent shells and let you toggle between them, running various tasks in parallel.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm going to ssh from my desktop computer to owm(rp3b+), if I use midnight commander to move a big file between two USB drives, do I have to keep the computer on until it finishes moving or can I turn the desktop off after I give the move order?

No.. it is would move even after the ssh session ends.

My question, is why do this? Just use the mv command, no real need for a file manager for something as simple as moving or copying a file.

• This is drawback of omv vs synology or qnap... Why i so hard to have a file manager on omv ??? This method (mc over ssh conection or another method ... ) request that on every pc you try to connect to omv to have or install putty or winscp....

Too bad

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is drawback of omv vs synology or qnap... Why i so hard to have a file manager on omv ??? This method (mc over ssh conection or another method ... ) request that on every pc you try to connect to omv to have or install putty or winscp....

Too bad

CloudCMD you just fire up a web browser and three's your file manager.

• This is drawback of omv vs synology or qnap... Why i so hard to have a file manager on omv ??? This method (mc over ssh conection or another method ... ) request that on every pc you try to connect to omv to have or install putty or winscp....

Too bad

Use Krusader in Docker as suggested by @KM0201. I've quickly tested and works quite well. You have the complete GUI as it uses VNC.
    It's the most complete I've tested so far.
    (I don't want to use SSH over the internet)

• Offizieller Beitrag

request that on every pc you try to connect to omv to have or install putty or winscp....

An ssh client has been enabled by default on Windows 10 since the April 2018 update... And is installing putty or winscp really that hard? And you don't even need those. You have a file manager on your os if you create smb or nfs shares that the client can connect to.

Why i so hard to have a file manager on omv ???

Write one if it is that easy. Synology and QNAP have hundreds of people working on their NASes. OMV has one core dev and basically one plugin dev. I don't understand the need for one so I won't be writing one. Install webmin if you really want a web-based file manager.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!