Pi Password Automatically Changes After Installing OMV on Raspberry Pi 4B

• Good afternoon,

I've recently installed OMV 5 on a new Pi that I recently purchased and have experienced something that I didn't run into with my last installation. I went for the Debian Buster Lite image and put that on a 32GB Samsung Evo Select micro SD card. After creating a blank file called 'SSH' on the root, I connected the pi to my network via ethernet and was able to use PuTTY to establish a connection to it. I immediately entered the 'passwd' command to change my password, and tested it after exiting to ensure that I knew what the password was at least. After exiting and re-entering the Pi via SSH, I ran the following command 'wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…Script/raw/master/install | sudo bash' in order to install OMV. At this point, I rebooted the Pi and tried to SSH into it again. At this point, I am unable to SSH into my Pi for any kind of maintenance, and I'm not sure what is causing this issue. I didn't prompt the system to change the password, and I've tried the default 'raspberry' as well as 'openmediavault' just for the hell of it. This is the 3rd time I've reinstalled the OS and started over in the last 24 hours, and I really just want to set this up and be done with it. All this Pi is going to do is function as a NAS. I only did it so many times because I wanted to identify the exact point where the password changes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It doesn't change the password. OMV changes the ssh server to require users to be in the ssh group. The default pi user is not in the ssh group. That said, you should be removing the pi user and creating a user of your own with a strong password and in the sudo and ssh groups.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you follow the -> R-PI build guide ? I built the latest Raspbian Buster lite image (02/05/20), according to this guide, with no issues.

Did you check your router to see if the IP address for the R-PI changed?
    It can happen, during the build, after a reboot. It depends on how your router handles DHCP leases.

If the IP address is the same and if you can get Web console access into OMV, you have two choices:

- Go into Access Rights Management, User and add the SSH group to the user PI and/or set a new password.
    (OR)
    - Under Access Rights Management, User, create a new user and password . (Don't use a system user name that already exists like "admin", "root", "backup" etc. You'll get an error.)
    This new user will be in the "users" group by default. Add the new user the to the groups adm, root, ssh, sudo. This will be your user for ssh and other admin purposes.

• Sweet. Adding the pi user to the SSH group was super easy. I appreciate the advice from both of you. If I would have read the guide you posted, I wouldn't have even had this problem. Generally, I'm a bit better with software like this, but most of Linux is new to me, so I'll be asking more questions AFTER doing some reading about this. The main thing was that this wasn't an issue with my Pi 3 for some reason and I didn't even run into this until this installation from the past few days. Now that it's configured, it's just going to live in my entertainment center along with the attached hard drive. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!