Rasberry Pi4 + Seagate External USB3.0 = No spin-down, no S.M.A.R.T. (100% resolved)

• Hi,

Complete OMV/Linux newbie here seeking help.

I've built a simple media server using Raspberry Pi4 and an 8TB external Seagate drive. Works like a charm, loving the experience, but...

The external HDD does not seem to ever want to spin down, which has me worried about its thermals and longevity. In addition, it will not let me run S.M.A.R.T. on it, resulting in error each time I try.

I'd be happy to provide whatever details may help troubleshoot this - but please keep in mind I'm new to all this, and may need some patience. I last used Unix at university over 20 years ago!

Meanwhile, the drive in question is: Seagate Expansion Desktop 8TB External Hard Drive HDD – USB 3.0 for PC Laptop (STEB8000100) and system info tells me i'm on version 5.3.3-1 (usul)

Would appreciate any help - let this DIY dream keep on keeping on!

Edit: I searched through this forum but could not find a thread that would answer my problem. A few came close, but the methods they used did not work for me - and the most promising thread is no longer contributed to.

• Plug the drive into a Windows computer and run the Seagate drive utility - it allows you to set spindown time.

John

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• Plug the drive into a Windows computer and run the Seagate drive utility - it allows you to set spindown time.

John

Will give it a try and report back. I doubt it will solve the S.M.A.R.T. thing, but if it can get the drive to sleep, I'd be a happy camper!

What did you try?

Lemme try johnvick's thing first and I will then make a list for you. Thanks for replying so quickly!

• Seagate Drive Settings in the utility - should have said earlier.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

• Don't be worried about the thermals or longevity, they are put in those cases and meant to run for many years. It's fine.

Spin down if you want, but you aren't extending the life of the drive.

Next, usually USB obscures the SMART system. Generally SMART via USB does not work.

• Don't be worried about the thermals or longevity, they are put in those cases and meant to run for many years. It's fine.
    Spin down if you want, but you aren't extending the life of the drive.
    Next, usually USB obscures the SMART system. Generally SMART via USB does not work.

Thanks for the encouragement. You could be saving me a ton of time here :)
    Other than thermals, I just want the drive to stay quiet when not in use, as I have the OMV hardware set in an otherwise quiet room :)

As for SMART over USB - maybe I'll just give up on that!

For anyone with similar problems, I'll document my journey thus far.

I first searched for Seagate Drive Utility which led me to https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
    I got SeaTools installed but those only offer diagnostics. The software saw the drive, I run a quick test just for the sake of it, all seems OK.

I then googled for Seagate Drive Settings Utility and that gave me https://www.seagate.com/suppor…drive-settings-master-dl/
    The app seems to be only compatible with Windows up to 7. When installed on Win10 it did not see the drive (the drive is already formatted in EXT4) although it shows up in Windows' own Disk Manager.

After some searching I found the right one. It's called Seagate Dashboard and can be downloaded from https://www.seagate.com/support/software/dashboard/

It is bloated AF (150MB) but provides the right setting. As johnvick suggested, my drive was to go to power saving mode NEVER. Switched it to 1 hour. Will reconnect to OMV... and check in an hour :)

• It works here with Windows 10. v2.1.902

Possibly ext4 is the problem? I can't remember what format the disk had when I did what you are trying to do. If no important data on the drive maybe format to NTFS?

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

• It works here with Windows 10. v2.1.902

Possibly ext4 is the problem? I can't remember what format the disk had when I did what you are trying to do. If no important data on the drive maybe format to NTFS?

I think it's the software. I have seagate drives in my box as well, and it does not see these either. Fortunately the Dashboard app took care of it!

By the way, where do you get the Win10 version from? all I see is 1909 as a version and then OS build (in my case 18363.657)

Now about that SMART... We sure that's not possible over USB?
    What I get when I attempt to run a test is:

Code
    smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [armv7l-linux-4.19.97-v7l+] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported field in scsi command

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options
  • Possibly on the Australia site as I live in NZ. It's not Win 10 version but works under Win 10.

https://www.seagate.com/au/en/…drive-settings-master-dl/

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von johnvick ()

• Yea I got the same app. Didn't work for me, unfortunately. I meant to ask: How did you get your Windows 10 version number? where did it give you the v.2.1.902 - as my windows reports versions in "1909" format!

BEHOLD THOUGH: PROBLEM 1 SOLVED!
    Using Seagate Dashboard I managed to connect the drive to my Windows computer and change its spindown settings. It now goes to sleep after 60minutes!

So... any ideas about that S.M.A.R.T. or is it a lost cause?

• I simply start it - no Seagate drive attached - and the version number is in bottom right corner. No ideas about SMART, sorry.

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

• SMART can easily be obtained by blacklisting UAS for that drive. I had the exact same problem.

Go to:
    https://unix.stackexchange.com…-linux-uas-driver-problem

and follow the steps by Cinos Modnar.

Hey, so this does not seem to work for me still. I followed the steps:

Listed my USB devices and their IDs using lsusb command.
    Got the list of attached devices, including the drive

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bc2:331a Seagate RSS LLC
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I first blacklisted the ID of the Seagate drive using the following sequence of commands

echo options usb-storage quirks=0bc2:331a:u | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist_uas.conf
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    sudo reboot

After reboot SMART still would not work, so for a good measure I also blacklisted the Hub:

echo options usb-storage quirks=2109:3431:u | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist_uas.conf
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    sudo reboot

Still nothing.

I get this:

smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [armv7l-linux-4.19.97-v7l+] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported field in scsi command

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

Attempts with -T permissive and -T verypermissive all result in Smartctl open device: /dev/sda [SAT] failed: Permission denied

• My oh my: IT WORKED! Thank you so much :)

Since these linked posts tend to move or disappear when they are needed, here is the summary for anyone who may be retracing my steps at a later time:

I already identified my device's Vendor ID and Product ID earlier:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bc2:331a Seagate RSS LLC

All that was left to do is to add the quirks to /boot/cmdline.txt (instead of the modprobe)

sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt

Then at the beginning of the string of commands I just added the correct text followed by a space:

usb-storage.quirks=0bc2:331a:u

Saved, closed, rebooted, et voila! My OMV now supports S.M.A.R.T.

Thank you everyone for helping me on this journey through the weird world of linux :)

• Hi!

I know it's been a while but I'm with the same problem: same device and HDD and I would like to make it a little less noisy. I can hear a buzz which I don't know if it's the internal HDD or the power supply itself so I want to to try this sleep mode.

Did you resolve the sleep mode with this change? I suppose that it works with Windows 10 but no idea how it's gonna work in OMV.

I use plex, jellyfin...etc with Portainer and I don't know if those can avoid the HDD enter into sleep mode.

Also, that buzz I hear I didn't hear it when connected the HDD to Windows to change the sleep mode.

Any help will be perfect

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!