Moving from omv 3 to 5 with fresh install (sd card) and keep luks encrypted data (disk)

• Yes and hello!

My system needs a upgrade (software wise):

• 2x Odroid HC
    • armbian (debian 8 eos this year), OMV 3 on microSD
    • luks encrypted ext4 on ssd/hdd

One of the HC's is the 'master' with a ssd serving the clients. The other HC has a hdd and is receiving rsync jobs and doing a local rsnapshoting.

Now for me would be best to stick with armbian/debian 10 directly. Then it would be omv 5 which is not yet (officially) released...

Any idea how my (already) luks encrypted drives will behave with a new installation (beside that it get's mounted when I enter the right passphrase :P )... and also how mad the rights management of the file system would be with me?

Just wonder what could go wrong or better what would be the easiest path to take ^^

• There is version 5.3.4, uploaded yesterday night. Maybe this is the official? Will there be an official guide for upgrade and is omv-extras (luksencryption and so on) completely ported to OMV5? I scuffled around this forum but could not find any helpful info.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is version 5.3.4, uploaded yesterday night. Maybe this is the official? Will there be an official guide for upgrade and is omv-extras (luksencryption and so on) completely ported to OMV5? I scuffled around this forum but could not find any helpful info.

I'm not sure about "completely ported" (a lot of stuff was dropped in favor of recommending docker). I don't use it, but I just checked my omv-5 plugin list (which includes omv-extras) and luks is there.. so I'm assuming it's ready.

• Can it be their is no rsync available for omv5? I checked here and found the (for me) needed luksencryption and rsnapshot package are available but I don't get any result for rsync. ?(

I wonder anyway if it's possible to take a rsnapshot directly from 'remote' (machine wise - same network) omv instance and not use a rsync job before to sync the data from one machine to another. I remember that this feature existed in the past but was somewhere lost between omv 2 and omv 3. I think the way the remote share plugin worked changed and then rsnapshot on a remote share wasn't possible anymore the way I used to do it...

• Ok, I did it. I'm on OMV 5 now. :thumbup:

One thing I discovered is that if I unlock my LUKS encrypted disk it doesn't get auto-mounted anymore and I need to do a extra step on the file system tab select my luks (dm) device and mount it. Is this a bug or feature?

Off topic: It would be really nice if OMV would give a hint on the dashboard that it found encrypted disk which are not unlocked. Use case: after starting a omv machine and logging in to the web interface you have it right on the spot that you (still) need to unlock your encrypted disk to make use of the data

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!