Confused with Permission + Sharefolders- OMV5

• Hi,

Had read pdf, watched several videos + forums, in this regard, still I'm little confused with and how to set a secure folder, but want to aloud some sharing, while I'm the only one who can control the data (the owner), will explain the best to my knowledge.

After watched a common issues when Creating Shared folders from TechnoDadLife, he stated to aloud everyone when creating the Folder, etc This do work but he also stated, after create the file/folder and is all set or have access, we can tighten the setting to our need, but this doesn't work for me

After checking ACL, Permission, users vs Groups and the Share format I'm using SMB, I noticed;

We have the Folder Owner: set as root
    Admin: set for users
    Others: View, aloud or None (whatever I choose) or I understand it should be

After I created only 1 user = me with Admin, ssl, group + samba with a user password...
    Group: "Family" for now I'm the only person in the Group

Permission and ACL I had added User (Ralph) + Family (Group)... when I create the folder and set to aloud everyone + guess aloud, I can gain access from my Windows but..

Under user name (Ralph) + password (the user "Ralph" password); Windows 10, always tells me I do not have permission and it is under everyone aloud but if I login under Admin credentials I can, however;

As soon I update the permission (already logged as Admin in Windows) from all to only owner + user, and other aren't, then suddenly I do not have permission. This tells me, even though I logged as Admin, still I'm under "Other" Why

Noticed I can change the owner of the file/folder from root to admin or me (Ralph) but still after apply the changes, windows still stating I do not have permission, cannot open the file at all (under Other are not aloud)

My impression is:
    Owner should be me or who ever I had set to be = all access
    User: exactly that= any person I add to be able to gain access, me, family member aka Don Quixote
    Group: if I choose to divide all my data access by Groups= Family vs Friends vs Acquaintance A Group can be made from all 3 = Owner + User + Other and/or adjust at my personal choice, so if I only wanted to aloud me Owner + a specific User, then for Others, I should be able to select "not aloud"
    Other: is anyone that is not the root, Admin or a User, but can be an Acquaintance or anyone who choose to get in (access) my OMV Folder/File or Drive (?) and even though, he/she doesn't have a user account with a password, will be able to see it (if set Other Read only), or worst if is set to Read/Write /Execute, etc.

From Windows 10- Access to OMV5;

I have 3 credentials to login= root, Admin and User, so any of those, should be able to gain access, only how much power or what I can do, will be decided when I created the file/folder and update Permissions/ACL

The problem it seems I can't, as soon I tighten "Others" Windows or OMV5 see me as "Other" only, it doesn't matter what credentials I use to login from Windows to OMV5, + the password I had set when I created the User: Ralph (me), it never worked, always is incorrect or invalid (I had made sure it is all correct)

I make sure the Folder have permission for: user, admin, and Family + Ralph,... Owner: Read/Write/Execute, User: Read/Write/Execute, Other: Not Aloud but only if I choose: Read/Write/Execute, is when I gain access and can create new Folders from my PC to OMV5.

Can anyone be able to elaborate and explain how Folders Permission vs login/access to, does work, please

What and where, I am making the error and why

Lost here, any help will be highly appreciated.

This feels like an OMV5 bug but something tells me is "Me" who have a bug in my brain.

Thank is in advance

• PS: I can login to OMV5 from my PC under Root or Admin Credentials (not User "Ralph"), only if "Others" is set as Read/Write/Execute but as soon I update "Others" Permission, it doesn't matter which user/password I use, I cannot.

Also, Yes I had reboot Windows, with no avail.

Hope this helps.

So, am I correct about "Others" Definition (?), if not, Who is "Others" ?

• I just found this old forum;

Privileges and permissions explained under OMV

It does answer a lot and most of my concerns and/ or confusion.

However I'm still lost regarding "Others" in Samba, who is for or what it's the purpose for :?:

If all access is controlled by OMV (root ?), via permissions added to Users/Groups + per each folder :thumbup: , then why Samba offer "Others", why it does exist :?:

Any enlightenment will be highly appreciated.

Side Question: I'm the owner and will like to share via Emby + Personal Documents for 2 different users (one Personal Doc for each user), but Emby will have 8-9 Users...
    Then I only need to create one main User "Me" access to all RW/Execute... RW to "Personal Doc, "create the rules or permission via Folder" for those 2 and no need to add anyone else (Users/Group) for movies/TV, because those permissions will be created and managed inside Emby. This way it is impossible for Emby Users to gain access to those folders directly, only from Emby. Am I Correct ?

Thanks in advance

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!