HHD expansion PCIe card

• If you want to connect this number of disks using a host bus adapter (HBA) card flashed to IT mode may be a better suited solution. e.g. a DELL PERC H200 or a LSI HBA card.
    Dell R710 NAS and Media server - PERC H700

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Given the choice between buying a PCIe SATA card or a PCIe Host Bus Adapter, chose the HBA. It offers a future path the SATA card doesn't and can't.

I have an LSI 9200-8E HBA in my OMV machine that connects to a DAS box. The card has external connectors (the E in the model number indicates this.)

If your drives are in the same box as the HBA card, you need one with internal connectors. LSI products use an "I" in the model number to show this.

Tons of cards can be had on ebay or Amazon at very good prices.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• My LSI 9200-8E HBA card was recognized by OMV, as were all the drives plugged into it.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• My LSI 9200-8E HBA card was recognized by OMV, as were all the drives plugged into it.

thanx , i see many on ebays , i understand that there may be clones of this card,should i look for exactly a lsi 9200 or any from the 9200 series is ok ...like 9211 or 9220 and so on? and what about this p20 flashing? thanx

• There are several variations within the 9200 line. I don't know what the differences are other than if you don't need or don't want a RAID card, then don't pay extra for it. I got mine on Amazon for $59.00. The 9300 series are newer and use PCIe 3.0 instead of 2.0 used by the 9200 series. But this probably won't matter to you.

P20 is the latest firmware available for the 9200 series cards. You don't necessarily need it, mine came with much older firmware (v7.0) and it worked fine. I flashed it to P20 anyway.

I needed external connectors on mine which reduces the number of choices.

--

• Interesting proposition. I had always assumed HBA's were only compatible with SAS drives It will be a while before I'll need external drive chassis, but the option is there. I bought a case to accomodate 10 drives in the build I just did last month.

gderf, do you build your own drive chassis/enclosures, or do you buy pre-built? Any recommendations?

• Interesting proposition. I had always assumed HBA's were only compatible with SAS drives It will be a while before I'll need external drive chassis, but the option is there. I bought a case to accomodate 10 drives in the build I just did last month.

gderf, do you build your own drive chassis/enclosures, or do you buy pre-built? Any recommendations?

HBAs that are SAS are backward compatible with SATA drives.

As to what I built, it's all in my sig.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Do HBAs necessarily have to be flashed to IT mode/JBOD mode to be used conventionally?Those Silverstones are nice cases, BTW

I don't have an answer to the question of having to flash. I would just assume you might have to do it and have the necessary files on hand if needed. The card I used is only an HBA so this never came up for me.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!