Severe issue with openmediavault-mergerfsfolders

• Whilst I was setting up my new OMV system, I wanted to give a try to openmediavault-mergerfsfolder, instead of using the "old" openmediavault-unionfilesystems.
    Well, it's been a nightmare: it crippled my OMV installation twice before I realised it.

Disclaimer: I don't have many details and I don't want to replicate the issue because I already wasted a lot of time, but I thought was still worth reporting the issue.
    OMV: 5.3.3-1
    openmediavault-mergerfsfolder: 5.0.1

I installed OMV along with many plugins: backup, usbbackup, flashmemory, snapraid, resetperms, diskstats, wakealarm and mergerfsfolder.
    I didn't configure most of them and didn't make any weird change to the system.

I configured mergerfsfolder to merge two main folders from different drives. Yes, I used /srv/dev-by-disk-by-label-XXX .
    It seemed to work fine, I could see the new filestystem, browse it via WinSCP, mount it in SMB and do all sort of things.
    Until I rebooted the system.

• I could not login to OMV UI - I think the error was very similar to this thread
    • Any command issued via shell such as omv-update or other simple tasks resulted in "Read Only File System"
    • I was able to remount the root FS and login to WebUI issuing the command mount -o remount / but the issue was still there If I rebooted again, services like SMB would not start (RED status in Dashboard)

I thought was my fault. Before rebooting I also updated from 5.3.2-1 to 5.3.3-1, so I thought this could have caused the issue.

I had to start all over again, because I hadn't made a backup yet ( :cursing::cursing: ),
    This time I configured everything but mergerfsfolder, and made a backup first. Rebooted, everything went fine, so the backup was healthy.
    I configured mergerfsfolder and as before I could use correctly the merged FS.
    Rebooted and bang! The same issue.

I managed to remount the root fs via the command above, install systemrescuecd and boot to it. By the way, it does not start ssh automatically (nothing was listening on port 22 but the system was connected correctly as I could ping it)

I restored the backup, removed mergerfsfolder and installed unionfilesystems.

I configured unionfilesystems, rebooted and everything has been working great since then.

Sorry for the rant, I hope this will help.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von auanasgheps ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I hate to say it but that doesn't really help. I would need to see the exact setup and resulting fstab entry. The new plugin does allow you pool any folders which can be dangerous if done incorrectly. But believe it or not, both plugins use the same backend. And I did a shit load of testing when writing the plugin without this issue. So, this must be something specific to your setup.

I will look at the systemrescuecd issue but it is getting harder and harder to maintain all of the pre-configured settings when systemrescuecd (and clonezille) keep changing significantly. Sometimes the old options are not possible anymore. If I don't update the version, people complain it is too old.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-extras 5.2.5 fixes the systemrescuecd ssh issue. sshd was running but systemrescuecd 6.0.4 added a firewall. I added nofirewall to the boot arguments and it works as expected. Just click install systemrescuecd again.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• omv-extras 5.2.5 fixes the systemrescuecd ssh issue. sshd was running but systemrescuecd 6.0.4 added a firewall. I added nofirewall to the boot arguments and it works as expected. Just click install systemrescuecd again.

Thanks for updating systemrescuedcd. Probably you should not update that component, it's just a rescue CD :)
    Regarding the mergefolders issue, I had the feeling this wasn't enough.
    If I will play with it in the future I will let you know.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I will play with it in the future I will let you know.

You don't want to post your setup and fstab?

• You don't want to post your setup and fstab?

Sure I can, but what is the point of doing it now when the system is up and running and using the "older" plugin?

• Offizieller Beitrag

what is the point of doing it now when the system is up and running and using the "older" plugin?

None. Just trying to help. Wasn't sure if you knew what you put in the fields and/or had cut&paste the fstab to compare differences.

• None. Just trying to help. Wasn't sure if you knew what you put in the fields and/or had cut&paste the fstab to compare differences.

Thanks for you effort, always appreciated. I understand at this point we can only make speculations. Unfortunately I didn't know I had to check fstab otherwise I would have saved such file.

Well, below you can find my current fstab (working). Things to note:
    - Made changes as instructed by the flashmemory plugin (updated root partition properties and disabled swap partition)
    - Removed "noexec" property from the nvme partition which runs Docker

The bind I tried to made with mergefsfolder was slightly different. I entered the following paths, because I wanted the exact folders to be merged.I added them as the GUI instructed, one line per folder
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-HDD2/HDD2/data
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-HDD2/HDD3/media
    I cant' remember if there was a slash / at the end of the folders. Could its presence/absence have caused the problem?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could its presence/absence have caused the problem?

No. But I was able to recreate this using the subdirectories. Testing now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, the problem is caused by the x-systemd.requires= options that the plugin adds. These are added on both plugins and works just fine on both plugins. The problem happens when you use a subdirectory on a mountpoint because the requires is set to the full path when it should just be the filesystem's mountpoint. I will have to change the code to get the filesystem's path instead of the paths specified.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This problem with sub-directory branches is fixed in 5.0.2 in the repo now.

• Bingo, so you've found the issue! I'm glad my incident has helped.

As a side note, is there a way to customize the virtual filesystem name created by the plugin? It's ugly but most importantly long, I have to copy and paste it in every configuration (such as Docker files), would be handy if the user could customize it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As a side note, is there a way to customize the virtual filesystem name created by the plugin?

On the unionfilesystem plugin, you can add the option fsname=SOMEUNIQUENAME in the options box. On the mergerfsfolders plugin, it is already setting it to POOLNAME:POOLUUID

It's ugly but most importantly long, I have to copy and paste it in every configuration (such as Docker files), would be handy if the user could customize it.

But I think you are actually referring to the mount point of /srv/LONG_UUID_STRING? If so, you can't customize that. You can make a symlink though using the symlink plugin or just ln -s.

• Hi

I am also mounting folders in mergefs

Code
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-8tb/Movies
    /srv/dev-disk-by-label-4tb/Movies

and then I create a shared folder with root / and I can samba share that out but when I try and share via NFS I get the below issue. Now is this a Merge FS issue or a NFS issue.

Thought I would post here as it is very similar to the issue above with folders.

running 5.3.5-1 and mergefs is mergefsfolder 5.0.2

• Offizieller Beitrag

Comment: Unable to unmount /srv/7f59ac98-4af5-43e4-b9bd-d63c8b7e7973: umount: /srv/7f59ac98-4af5-43e4-b9bd-d63c8b7e7973: target is busy..

Something is using the filesystem when it tries to unmount. I would reboot.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!