Moving shared folder contents with MC after relocating shared folders to another drive.

• Ah, yes - I see how that would make sense.

How do I stop using it, do I just delete the filesystem and uninstall the plugin or will that make me lose stuff? Or do I have to relocate my shares via the web GUI and any other directories I have created via ssh onto one of the two original file systems (1 per 500GB disk), then delete the union filesystem one and finally uninstall the plugin?

Thanks,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

• Offizieller Beitrag

How do I stop using it,

Why do you want to stop using it?

If you want to remove it: As I understood you just do the steps to create the pool in reverse. Finally you can uninstall the plugin.

• Ups.

f86f37f0-c4cf-4576-a93b-a6be71977269 could be the mount point for that.

Not sure. Don't use unionfilesystem

Sorry, you mean you don't use it? I thought you meant I shouldn't use it. :D

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

• OK, I have moved the shares as I couldn't see them in Filezilla. Turns out that having them set up on the unionfilesystem seemed to make them invisible on FTP.

They're all empty, so I relocated them to one of the original filesystems and they showed up in Filezilla.

Anyway, I am still fighting with rsync, so I'd like some help if you could.

Here's what I'm entering:

rsync -av /sharedfolders/kit/ root@192.168.1.201:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-81765f11-ef08-48ae-a597-e891180b2df2/kit

So, I'm trying to copy all files and directories from a shared folder (kit) on an OMV4 server, into another existing shared folder on an OMV5 server (kit)

It seems to be working but I cancelled it part way through and looked at the files in Filezilla. Then I thought I would delete them all in Filezilla and start the rsync again. I soon found that there were some directories that I couldn't delete in Filezilla, I think the log said 'permission denied', or something. If i tried to ssh into the server and delete the whole shared directory, I got an error there, it was something like [directoryname] is a directory

What is this new hell that I have found now? :evil:

Thanks!

Nick.

P.S. I love the -v option as I can see what's going on. Its brilliant.

EDIT: Will the reset perms plugin sort this out for me?

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you learn how to use rsync, try to simplify things and set up test servers and paths and test files. That is how you learn. Finding the logic, testing different things and the effects of minor speling errors. Possibly following some of the many, many online tutorials as well.

Imagine the chaos if every beginner trying to learn to use any and all basic Linux tools did it by asking questions about why things don't work as they expect and their elementary mistakes on a forum that is about something completely different.

Not trying to be nasty, I think it is great that you are learning to use rsync, but ...

• When you learn how to use rsync, try to simplify things and set up test servers and paths and test files. That is how you learn. Finding the logic, testing different things and the effects of minor speling errors. Possibly following some of the many, many online tutorials as well.

Hi there,

Thanks, I already have two servers with all of my important stuff on them. One is the main server that the household connects to and the other is a mirror server, in case something goes wrong. With two servers, its pretty unlikely that I'll lose anything too much. I also back the system drives up on any major change, so they're safe too. I set those two up pretty much by trial and error, and the kindness of others, on here for instance.

The servers that I have just set up are empty; again, with regular backups of the system drives on big changes, so they might as well be test servers; there's nothing really at risk whatever I try. I learn best by trial and error, and by jumping in at the deep end, so at the moment I am getting to grips with the command line for navigating, creating directories, and moving stuff around. Its a lot to take in. And then there's rsync on top of that, but this is how Ilike to learn. I stumble about a lot at the beginning but then things come together for me and I can start walking, then walking a bit faster. Its just the way I learn these things best.

Imagine the chaos if every beginner trying to learn to use any and all basic Linux tools did it by asking questions about why things don't work as they expect and their elementary mistakes on a forum that is about something completely different.

Apologies if you don't like the way I learn things, I thought what I was posting was relevant to the forum, but perhaps not. I will try to find somewhere else to ask questions, if they don't really fit in here. I'm sorry if I am being unreasonable. I had no idea to be honest, and it certainly wasn't intentional. I have the greatest respect for the people on here that help beginners like me along. it must be a tad frustrating at times.

Anyway, no offence taken and thank you for pointing these things out for me. I will see what else I can find without bothering people on here.

All the best,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is a guide about rsync two OMV machines. On one machine you start the rsync job. On the other machine you need to create a "module" which makes it able to receive or provide data by rsync.

Rsync two OMV machines

The guide is using rsync in "pull" mode. What you are doing is "push". Do you need to adjust a little.

I am a bit concerned about the unionfilesystem you are using. I do not know enough about them.

For example: when you do the rsync job, what do you have to use as the target? The union mount point or the individual filesystems?

Something you need to research or just test.

If i tried to ssh into the server and delete the whole shared directory, I got an error there, it was something like [directoryname] is a directory

With rm you cannot delete a directory. If the directory is empty you can remove it with rmdir. If the directory is not empty you can remove the whole think recursively with rm -r

https://linuxize.com/post/remove-directory-linux/

• Offizieller Beitrag

I stumble about a lot at the beginning but then things come together for me and I can start walking, then walking a bit faster. Its just the way I learn these things best.

Excellent description of how a lot of us learn; myself included. I for one enjoy reading this kind of stuff. It’s like rummaging around an estate sale: you never know what little treasure you might find in the next stack. It’s usually something you didn’t even know you needed or that even existed until you discovered it.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Hi macom, sorry for the late reply, I've been messing with the Clonezilla issue!

Thanks, but I know how to set rsync up in the web GUI, what I'm trying to do is use the command line to do it.

I already have two OMV4 installs, one machine holds the household's important stuff and it rsyncs everything (set up via the web GUI) to the other machine, for safe keeping. These are the two that you helped me set up the headless backup for. These machines are just recycled PCs.

So, the idea now is to transfer everything to my posh new servers, and I thought I'd do that via the command line, to one of the new servers, then set up rsync via the web GUI to copy it all to the other one. I'll still keep the other two OMV4 installs, but probably just use one for plex, and the other as a backup for the plex one.

Anyway, I am working my way through things for the above, now that I know where I am with the Clonezilla issue. I am also in touch with my router manufacturer to see if they can help in retaining the IP address on rebooting to the Clonezilla kernel - will post in the other thread about that. I have also just listed all of the devices on my network, with all static IP addresses and MAC addresses of all devices in a spreadsheet; It took ages!

Anyway, I will get back into CL rsync and be in touch if I need to.

Thank you very much for all of your support on here.

Cheers,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• Excellent description of how a lot of us learn; myself included. I for one enjoy reading this kind of stuff. It’s like rummaging around an estate sale: you never know what little treasure you might find in the next stack. It’s usually something you didn’t even know you needed or that even existed until you discovered it.

Thanks so much, Agricola - this makes me feel much better!

Happy New Year to you!

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!