What is the stable version on 02/2020

• Good evening,What is the latest Stable version of OMV?I say this, because on the website is that the latest updates are for 4.1.13. On the SourceForge website is 4.1.22. There at SourceForge there are also 5.X versions.Which is really the most stable at the moment?

• If this is your first foray into OMV, I suggest using v 5.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The latest stable release is 4.xx.

The version 4.1.13 you mention is for openmediavault-clamav 4.1.13. A antivirus package, I think.
    The latest OMV4 update is openmediavault 4.1.34.

Just install OMV4 and update everything and then you will have the latest stable version.

However most of the buzz is about OMV5.xx beta. A lot of users have already migrated to it.

I still use OMV4.

Share access via /sharedfolders/sharedfoldername was newly(?) disabled by default in OMV5. In favor of access via /srv/... So it is clear OMV5 still is allowed to change and is not fully stable. It is still beta, so that is not surprising.

Also, most of the help requested here is about OMV5. I am not sure if it is because there are many more problems with OMV5, or because most new users skipped OMV4? I hope mostly the latter cause...

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are installing on some kind of a Raspberry Pi, 5 is your best only option. If you are using some other sbc arm board you could go either way. If x86, I would say stay with 4. Just my opinion. If you have a strong backup strategy and/or not very complicated requirements, then 5 would be okay.

• I'm shiny new to this, to Linux (or based things on it), to networking, NAS and all things around. I just wanted to setup NAS with Odroid.

Tried 5, failed at the beginning, something didn't work.

Tried 4 and now almost everything works, I don't know if it is set up all good, but works (I don't have anyone who can tell me).

OMV 5 + Odroid H2 + IronWolf 4TB RAID 1 + NVME 128GB SSD

• I see that version 5.0 is really unstable.

That may be your impression, but that is not really the case. And I can say that as a user of OMV 5 who has had no unresolvable problems whatsoever.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I may have written a misleading post, and that is largely due to the multitudinous ways OMV is used, and by whom:

• Business vs. personal.
    • Simple vs. complex.
    • Novice vs. advanced user.
    • Risk averse vs. daring.

When 5 first came out I had been using OMV about a year and was still figuring things out on 4. I didn’t want to pursue 4 further if 5 was going to go stable soon, so I started testing with 5 slowly with a few extra machines. By Christmas/19 I had Plex and Nextcloud running on OMV 5 on a NanoPi M4 and a backup machine running 5 on an old dual-core Acer desktop machine. Everything works fine, but it wasn’t without some down time and restoring from backup. And it’s still “beta” but what does that mean?

The key to it all is learn how to back up first and then go with what you are comfortable. No one really can say what is right for you.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!