Asking for a sanity check on a new build

• Afternoon all;

I'm pondering a new OMV build to replace my current server/storage setup (2x Dell machines running Windows 10 to support Plex and VPN/BitTorrent client dumping to an OLD Netgear ReadyNAS NVX+), and would like an outside opinion:

MSI B365M PRO-VDH motherboard
    Intel Core i7-9700 Coffee Lake 3.6 GHz processor
    4x Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4-2666 memory
    8x Western Digital Red 3TB hard drives connecting through an LSI 9211 HBA (reflashed Dell PERC H200)
    2x Inland 240GB SSD drives (for OMV/Docker install)
    4 port Intel I340-T4 Gigabit Ethernet adapter
    Silverstone Strider SST-ST80F 800w power supply
    Fractal Design Node 804 case

System will be running 2 Docker containers:

Plex Media Server (most encodes are x265)
    Bittorrent with VPN

So, sanity check...am I aiming too low? Too high? Am I completely out of my gourd??

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are not aiming too low...

And extreme overkill can, in itself, be very satisfying and fun. And much simpler than trying to figure out what is actually needed.

I might have shifted the emphasis to faster networking. A nic with one or two 10GbE ports and a good 10GbE + 1GbE switch that can handle that. That way you could stress the HDDs a little. Otherwise the network would be the bottleneck. Also get a good WiFi mesh. And a backup server, pure storage, also with 10GbE.

I would also go for fewer and bigger HDDs. To allow for future expansion. And 64GB RAM. Nice for big disk caches. And/or do some experimenting with SSD caching in front of the HDDs. Just for fun. I wonder if bcache would work with OMV?

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• so just OMV and plex and VPN? Seems overkill unless you have a lot of transcoding going on.

do you already have the RAM or the hard drives? If not it may be more cost effective to get denser equipment: 2x16GB RAM and 8TB+ hard drives.
    you can get less than 800W on your power supply if you need to save a few bucks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!