Cannot access NAS through Windows explorer anymore

• Hello, something happened and now I can't access NAS through SMB, it looks like it's offline but showing in "Computer->Network"

It says System Windows cannot access \\HOSTNAME.
    Tried 2 computers.
    Connection works through IP adress (\\IP).
    NAS is set to static IP (unchanged).
    Tried to ping IP, its ok.
    Ping hostname doesn't work.
    Ping -a ip is showing right hostname.

WHEN I EDIT HOSTS IT WORKS: IP HOSTNAME

I don't know what to do next, I don't want to edit all hosts on every computer which connects to my network.
    Anyone can help?
    Thank you.

OMV 5 + Odroid H2 + IronWolf 4TB RAID 1 + NVME 128GB SSD

• Have you flushed your dns and check for the server on your dns server to make sure it's resolving correctly.
    Can you reach it from another machine?

This will tell you whether it's the dns server or the local machine you are on.

• Hello, thank you for all answers.

First I need to tell you that I'm noob in Networking. I'm HW guy.

My network:
    Devices (NAS, PC,...) -> Manageable Switch (almost in factory settings) -> Router

Router is set to DHCP.
    LAN devices have set static internal IP.

I did flush with client PC.
    In first post I said I tried 2 computers. One with edited Hosts (works), one like it was before and still says that can't access.

I ran that command and it says running.

• No, it's not.

If it's enabled by default, I never turned it off, because I don't know what is that :D .

//EDIT: Disabled and still doesn't work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Still nothing.

I've only ever experienced this once, on W10 Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Centre -> Advanced sharing settings Turn on network discovery and check Turn on automatic setup, I have know these to be disabled after a windows update.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I understand that you've statically addressed your OMV server.
    If you want "local" name resolution without having to edit the hosts files on all clients, set a DHCP reservation (sometimes called a static lease), at your router, for the same IP address you used when statically addressing your OMV server. (While it may seem odd, this will work with an IP address that is outside of your Router's DHCP scope.) Leaving the server statically address is fine.

The result is a mapping of OMV's hostname, to an IP address and MAC address. This will give you local name resolution.

• I know only this:
    https://i.gyazo.com/222f486c1f50eea349ccac2bd09158aa.png

what else do you mean, please?

Btw. I didn't change anything before it stopped working, that's why it's strange... (I didn't have to edit hosts before).

It's enabled :-X .
    Tried also on Win7 computer without any of these new windows updates.
    Thats why I think something happened with OMV.
    There were 2 updates before this happened.

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von LMRig ()

• NAS is set to static IP (unchanged).

If your OMV-system is the "LM-Nas" with IP-address 192.168.0.3 then your system is misconfigured. This address is within the DHCP range. Therefore you should change the OMV network config to DHCP. Then the address is automatically assigned and also DNS settings and so on.
    Otherwise you should reserve a certain IP area for static IP addresses in the router.

Also I can see an empty DNS entry which may have an impact.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

If your OMV-system is the "LM-Nas" with IP-address 192.168.0.3 then your system is misconfigured. This address is within the DHCP range. Therefore you should change the OMV network config to DHCP

You can do both; statically address the server "AND" set a static DHCP lease, if using the same IP address for both, inside or outside of the DHCP range. Most routers will do this. It creates a lookup table for statically addressed devices, that works for local DNS.

I know only this:
    i.gyazo.com/222f486c1f50eea349ccac2bd09158aa.png

According to your list, it appears that you've manually assigned a DHCP reservation to a mac address associated to 192.168.0.3 and the host name LM-Nas (I would check the mac address to be sure.) Assuming the host name LM-Nas is OMV, for the sake of simplicity, you might consider using the DHCP setting in OMV as suggested by @cabrio_leo. The path to your server from your client would be \\LM-Nas\yourshare

However, I would add a DNS server entry, in the screen shot you supplied in the DNS server box. For initial testing purposes, it might be best to use your routers IP address, as DNS, which I assume is 192.168.0.1

• I thought it's smart enough to skip manually set reservations (when it is set in the same device, this router wasn't cheap - ~$300) but ok.
    Changed range to start from 100.
    Everything else is manually set between 1-99.

Router is 192.168.0.2, so I set DNS Server to this IP.
    I also changed NAS to ..0.5 to get some hierarchy.

But still doesn't work...
    Screenshot:

EDIT:
    Did you mean setup OMV DNS in Network->Interfaces->Edit->Advances Settings->DNS Servers?
    I tried to add there router IP and still nothing.

If I didn't do it right, I will need complete instructions how/where to. Like I said, I'm doing my best but everything what you say I have to read many times and look for it in router or OMV because I don't know what is that and also English is not my language so I have switch all between langs. :D

Thank you for your time.

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von LMRig ()

• Did you mean setup OMV DNS in Network->Interfaces->Edit->Advances Settings->DNS Servers?
    I tried to add there router IP and still nothing.

This is important at all! If you do not set a DNS server there you may get problems later if you try to update OMV.

This is what I meant. If you configure a static IP address in OMV all other settings must match too (DNS server, gateway, subnet mask and so on). If you set it to DHCP (perhaps only for testing purpose) you don´t have to deal with any of these settings.

After that I would switch off / reboot any of the concerned communication partners (OMV NAS, router, switch, PC...) and make a new trial.
    I am assuming that this is a network where you are responsible for and you are authorized to modify IT-infrastructure elements. Otherwise inform / ask your network administrator.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• DHCP is set in OMV.
    But in Advances settings you can configure DNS server so I put there router's IP.

I don't know what next, because still doesnt work.
    Already tried to restart everything.

• I see that we are out of options.

But now I see one weird thing.
    I have more than 1500 pages in log (1.3.2020 only) only with this error:

clamonacc[960]: ERROR: Can't send to clamd: Bad address.

Displaying items 1 - 50 of 100001

:-O

Maybe it can help?

• Offizieller Beitrag

clamonacc[960]: ERROR: Can't send to clamd: Bad address.

Displaying items 1 - 50 of 100001

Do you have ClamAV installed and/or did you install it recently? If so, perhaps it's time to remove it and reinstall it. If you remove it, check your clients to see if the server is accessible by name. I'm guessing the error above "clamonacc" may be short for "Clam on access". Virus scanners can do strange things.

I see that we are out of options.

The easy options, yes. But you can always create server short cuts on your clients, using the IP address of the server. (How to do that is in this -> guide as well.) Before the WSDD service was implemented, that's what I did.

Normally, when running DHCP, most routers set up a local lookup table that maps a mac address to an IP address and a host name. At that point, when a name is used - I.E. \\LM-Nas\ the router returns the IP address to the local name request. I would look at the OEM's documentation for your router. You might find a reference to Local DNS or DNSmasq. I'd also look at the setting for the router's upstream DNS server and use a public server with ANYCAST and DNSSEC. Here's a list of -> public DNS servers.

As for another potential reason why; have you noticed any windows updates recently? M$ is known for pushing out security updates that haven't gone well. If you clients are on-line most of the time, it's possible that they received the same update.

• But in Advances settings you can configure DNS server so I put there router's IP.

It could be that you have to enter a public DNS server address instead of your router IP: How to change the DNS settings on a Asus RT-AC87U router

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!