Since Ubuntu server will support natively ZFS, can OMV be installed on it?

• Hi,
    I just read that Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS will support ZFS natively unlike debian stable.
    https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-20-04-release-features/
    For the little I know Ubuntu server is a good distribution and has a lot of support. The focus of the LTS releasesare stability like for Debian, and since Ubuntu is derivated from Debian they should be similar in the most part. I'm by no means a guru of Linux, so I don't know how much Debian and Ubuntu are different thought.
    BTW my idea was considering the possibility to support/switch to Ubuntu Server since ZFS is a great feature for everyone wanting to build a NAS, I read about many people using freeNAS basically only for ZFS for example.
    Also since the Ubuntu forum is huge, maybe some user could find help there too.

Is it such a crazy/stupid idea to evaluate Ubuntu Server LTS over Debian Stable? Of course I'm not talking about OMV6 or anything soon.
    P.s. it will also natively support Wireguard

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• That's great! I never saw it. Maybe there should be a post on the blog if Ubuntu will be officialy supported and a dedicated iso once 20.04 LTS will be released?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Yeah, that’s fantastic! I think, I would also go the Ubuntu path, because of the official zfs support.

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

The one thing I like about Ubuntu, is it more or less has hard release dates. Ready or not, you typically know within a week when it's releasing as soon as the version number is released. Debian (and OMV for that matter) seem to sit in beta FOREVER. I'm a Debian guy on my laptop and PC's, but I honestly prefer Ubuntu on my server (that's what I ran between FreeNas and OMV, and was happy with it)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Lots of problems with this thread.

First, I am a huge Ubuntu fan. If someone wanterd commercial support, they could get it from Canonical and Canonical's support is really good.

Second, Debian supports zfs just a natively as Ubuntu. Ubuntu just compiled the module for you. In the end, there is no real difference. They are both compiled kernel modules.

FInally, yes I did submit the pull request for *some* Ubuntu support in OMV and added it to the install script. BUT, it *only* works on Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan and Volker has no plans to support Ubuntu that I know of.. Ubuntu 20.04 uses php 7.4. So, OMV 5.x will not work with 7.4 because 7.3 is currently hard coded. My main goal was OMV 5.x on the Ubuntu 19.10 RPi image.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ubuntu is more bleeding edge so lots more updates that could break things.

We run Ubuntu LTS on 100s of systems at work and have them set for auto-patch/auto-reboot and I can't remember the last time we had a bad update (at least four years).

• yeah I read from the code that the support is only for 19.10 .
    honest question since it has been a while since I wrote a line of code, why is OMV hardcoded to a php version? It isn't possible to write the code so that it can scale with php versions?
    Also as I said in the post, I wasn't even thinking at omv 5, rather 6 since switching from debian to ubuntu (or even support both) isn't somwthing easy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

why is OMV hardcoded to a php version? It isn't possible to write the code so that it can scale with php versions?

Yep but since Ubuntu isn't really supported, Volker really has no interest in writing it that way.

switching from debian to ubuntu (or even support both) isn't somwthing easy.

I don't think it would be that bad. That would definitely eliminate upgrading from one to the other though.

The point was since OMV is developed and tested on debian not Ubuntu the chances go up. May still be small but larger.

Then add plugins to the mix.

Ah. I was just referring to Ubuntu in general. I really don't think Ubuntu will ever be supported so it doesn't really matter.

• Yep but since Ubuntu isn't really supported, Volker really has no interest in writing it that way.

Well, it should still help for the next releases I think?

Zitat

I don't think it would be that bad. That would definitely eliminate upgrading from one to the other though.

Yes of course, but with docker it should easy to go from Debian to Ubuntu (or reverse) since you can just copy the config folder of the container. I think ubuntu server could be a great altenerative to Debian mostly for the support. Since the Ubuntu forum is huge users can search there for help regarding linux in general

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why do you prefer Debian instead of Ubuntu/Mint etc?

Admittedly it's been a while since I've used either on a desktop, but mostly bloat. With either of them, I'd spend a considerable amount of time removing tons of software, utilities, etc. I had no interest in using, then installing what I wanted. If I went the other directions and did a bare bones minimum install, I'd spend considerable time installing software, etc. that I needed.

Debian, I generally have found it is pretty no frills in what it installs on a new install. Usually close to bare minimum on the utilities, software, etc.. so I'll probably remove one or two things, add a few things.. then I'm generally done.

Second, and it may be because of the reasons above, I generally find Debian faster. I use XFCE as a desktop, and Xubuntu always seemed to run like a slug compared to Debian w/ XFCE. I've used Mint XFCE, and it's actually pretty comparable to Debian, IMO. One thing Mint and Xubuntu will have on Debian.. they are beautiful. I've got a few themes from a Mint virtual install that I install on my Debian installs that helps with that some.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, it should still help for the next releases I think?

Yes of course, but with docker it should easy to go from Debian to Ubuntu (or reverse) since you can just copy the config folder of the container. I think ubuntu server could be a great altenerative to Debian mostly for the support. Since the Ubuntu forum is huge users can search there for help regarding linux in general

I'd rather see it one or the other, rather than both... But agree with you otherwise. Either go all in with Ubuntu, or just stay with Debian.

Docker has really made it where just about anyone can run a server. Only thing I can't find is a decent rsync container (similar to the omv plugin). The tools with a gui do not support local backups, and only support remote backups.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, like I said on your other post, no.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Has anyone here managed to get OMV to work on Ubuntu in the end?

Why do you "need" Ubuntu? You can already use the proxmox kernel (assuming you aren't using an SBC) which is the Ubuntu LTS kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!