How to create daily backup to USB drive

• Hi gang, could someone point me in the right direction.

I would like to create a daily backup of my movies to an external hard drive plugged to my openmediavault server. What should I use? I tried the USB backup plugin, which has no scheduling and you cannot make it point a different directory on the external usb drive. I looked at rsnapshot but I can't figure out how to set it up to only do one daily backup to my external usb drive in a specific folder.

Any help or recommendation would be great.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Cron job set for daily with the command

rsync -avr --delete /media/long_uuid/movies /media/long_uuid/external

Make sense?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

This should be really easy with the rsync plugin. I guess you could do it with cron as well.

I essentially do what you're doing, but w/ an internal drive.

Plug USB drive and Mount it.
    Create a shared folder on the USB drive
    Go to the Rsync Plugin and create a job with the "internal" drive as the source, and
    the "USB" as the destination.

For a little help with scheduling the jobs (which is a bit weird in my opinion) try following some of tekkebe's posts in this thread.. http://forums.openmediavault.o….php?f=21&t=1507&start=20

Once you get it setup, it's painless. I backup about 4-5 different folders/media types between two internal drives, then plug in a usb drive and sync one of the drives to my USB once or twice a month.. it works flawlessly.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "KM0201"

This should be really easy with the rsync plugin.

I always forget that isn't just an rsync server :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi gang, thanks for your help. That's what I'm looking for.

But what I did is setup a rsnapshot job (backup selection from the menu) to do this, but stupid me, I was pointing to the wrong directory. Guess what, with the delete command, it purged all the other stuff I had backed up. I had to redo the whole backup over.

But now, the problem I'm having is that my USB backup drive keeps loosing it's connection with my openmediavault box. I mounted the drive but it keeps disconnecting and I have to re-mount the drive and it's creating shared drives that not used anymore or cannot be used and I cannot delete them. Is there a way to keep it from disconnecting and also to remove old shared drive folders?

Thanks again everyone.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is either an issue with the usb backup drive or a driver for your motherboard. Have you tried the backports 3.2 kernel?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I guess that won't fix the problem. What kind of usb backup drive?

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is a better idea and faster :)

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

That is a better idea and faster :)

That's true... The USB for me, is a secondary offsite backup... so I deal w/ it's speed. My current NAS is about ready to be reclassified as a family PC, so I'm in the process of putting the things together for a new NAS. Seems each time I've built a NAS, I say I'm not doing it again, then within a few months, I start finding things I could have done better. The CPU/Ram/Motherboard, are the easy parts of building these things. The power supply (quiet) and the chassis are the difficult things. Small, 3-4 bay hot swap and and noise are the priorities for this one.

I'm considering a Pico Power supply

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!