system install with LVM partition

• Hi!

Did anyone install OMV into an LVM on the system disk or the data on the data disks into a LVM ?

Is that possible out of the box or only with a pre-installed debian?

My idea is, that this would it make possible to do a "live Backup" of the data without having to stop services or s.th. like this.

Greets

Karl

• Offizieller Beitrag

You would have to install Debian first.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've installed OMV by installing Debian first many times. I've never used lvm though. I don't see why it would cause any problems though. Try it on a virtual machine first :)

Install Debian with lvm and fully update. Then do,

Code
    1 - echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public sardaukar main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    2 - apt-get update
    3 - apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    4 - apt-get update
    5 - apt-get install openmediavault
    6 - omv-initsystem

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

You would have to install Debian first.

There's actually an easier way.

1. Create the installer USB per instructions. Use UNetBootin or Universal USB Installer, NOT dd/win32diskimager!
    2. Pull the USB and plug it back. Open the installer/preseed.cfg file with your chosen text editor (I suggest Notepad++ or Notepad, on Linux, gedit)
    3. Change the following lines:

Code
    ### Partitioning
    # This makes partman automatically partition without confirmation.
    d-i partman-auto/method string regular
    d-i partman-auto/init_automatically_partition select Guided - use entire disk
    d-i partman-auto/choose_recipe select All files in one partition (recommended for new users)
    d-i partman/default_filesystem string ext4
    d-i partman/choose_partition select finish
    d-i partman/confirm boolean true

Comment out all but the first using #:

Code
    ### Partitioning
    # This makes partman automatically partition without confirmation.
    d-i partman-auto/method string regular
    #d-i partman-auto/init_automatically_partition select Guided - use entire disk
    #d-i partman-auto/choose_recipe select All files in one partition (recommended for new users)
    #d-i partman/default_filesystem string ext4
    #d-i partman/choose_partition select finish
    #d-i partman/confirm boolean true

4. Do the installation. Now when it gets to the partition configuration, it will ask you what to do, just go on manual, and configure LVM.
    You might need to run further commands manually, but it worked for me (partitioned a 250GB drive to 20GB on /, 30GB on /home, and the rest is an LVM physical volume)
    5. ???
    6. Profit

Again I'm not sure that you can run LVM initialization in the setup, but if you only want to separate some folders into different drives, this should do the trick.
    You can also set some preset values there, e.g. host and domain name, etc.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would be great to see fonix232's preseed.cfg modification in the original iso, so we'd have the option to pick a partitioning layout that fits our needs without the need to alter the official iso.

Volker is the one who creates the OMV ISO. But you don't need it. Install Debian with the netinst iso and use whatever partition layout you want. Then run the install script - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…-Developers/installScript

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!