[RESOLVE] DNS out

• Hi everybody,

I think my OMV 0.4 DNS doesn't work but i don't know why.

I check ISP DNS IP, i try Google DNS IP to check ( 8.8.8.8 ) but no change.

I can't do no update, no plugin installation or migrate to OMV5.

For exemple, i've got this to plugin installation :

When i tried "ipconfig /flushdns" in putty, i've got this messages :

Zitat

error fetching interface information: Device not found

I've got no answer when i do a ping to a website (ping: unknown host http://www......)

My OMV version is 0.4.38.
    i've got a second OMV in 0.5 version with the them DNS IP ans no problem for it.

Thanks.

• Zitat von "jarod56"

I found the problem. No change in /etc/resolv.conf

Fine. ;)
    Would you be so kind and explain, how you solved the problem?
    I have the same problem, and manually editing of resolv.conf did it for the moment, but that couldn't be the solution...

BR

Jan

• Jan, did you setup your DNS server?

In web-gui

/system/network and then on the right the DNS Server TAB.

Put in your router ip address for Primary
    Put in 8.8.8.8 of secondary address.

save and apply

• @tekkbabe
    Yes, i've set my DNS server (address of my router/gateway, that handles requests over to the real DNS of my ISP).

This problem follows other problems:

A few weeks ago i replaced my HP N40L with a N54L. Of course the new machines onboard-NIC has a different MAC-adress. So when i booted the new machine with the old disks, the system switched the name of the NIC from eth0 to eth1. That causes missing network-traffic graphs in systeminfo (at least i thought, that this was the reason). So i searched for solutions to change the networkinterface name back to eth0. I found the following method: in etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules i commented out the line that describes the former NIC (recognizable by its MAC), and changed the new NICs name in the next line from eth1 to eth0. After reboot and a new configuration with omv-firstaid in the cli and after login in the Weg-GUI i had my eth0 back and nearly all went fine; there were still sad smilies instead of network-graphs in system info.

Because i found out, that other (not all) graphs were also not renewed, i followed a suggestion of Volker that i found in another thread, and deleted the *.rrd files - with no success...

Later on, when i tried to install the support-info-plugin i found out, that my machine couldn't connect to the internet, because it couldn't find any DNS-Server for address resolution.

Any ideas, how to fix my two problems (DNS and not working rrd)?

BR

Jan

• Delete the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules completely and reboot your system.

Now you should automaticcaly have a fresh new eth0 device. Check if ifconfig is outputting it correctly.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Delete the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules completely and reboot your system.

Now you should automaticcaly have a fresh new eth0 device. Check if ifconfig is outputting it correctly.

Greetings
    David

I did it and ifconfig shows me eth0 and lo correctly - but no DNS: resolv.conf is empty again...

Trotzdem Danke... ;)

Jan

• Huh... what kind of router do you have? Maybe its no sending the DNS entry correctly while giving your OpenMediaVault an answer to its DHCP request.

Did you now check again if DNS is setup within the WebGUI for eth0?

Primary: IP of your Router
    Secondary: 8.8.8.8

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I use a Fritzbox, and yes, i checked the DNS-entry in the Web-GUI: all fine...
    The problem is deeper...

BR
    Jan

• He has already done that.

jan, do you have dnsutils installed? Or can you still install it?

If so

Code
    apt-get install dnsutils
    nslookup fritz.box

If not, whats the output of

Code
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolve.conf

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "JanN"

I did it and ifconfig shows me eth0 and lo correctly - but no DNS: resolv.conf is empty again...

Trotzdem Danke... ;)

Jan

Of course he did....

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "JanN"

I found the following method: in etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules i commented out the line that describes the former NIC (recognizable by its MAC), and changed the new NICs name in the next line from eth1 to eth0. After reboot and a new configuration with omv-firstaid in the cli and after login in the Weg-GUI i had my eth0 back and nearly all went fine; there were still sad smilies instead of network-graphs in system info.

Ah, I looked at the another post.

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

He has already done that.

You are really great men, always fighting for the truth :mrgreen:

Zitat von "davidh2k"

jan, do you have dnsutils installed? Or can you still install it?

Code
    nslookup fritz.box

Yes, i can ;)

Code
    root@JNSERVER2:~# nslookup fritz.box
    Server:         192.168.151.1
    Address:        192.168.151.1#53

Name:   fritz.box
    Address: 192.168.151.1

What is this "'#53"?

And the others:

Code
    root@JNSERVER2:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    ..#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN.
    search fritz.box
    nameserver 192.168.151.1

resolv.conf was the one i edited by hand and added the last two lines; without them there is no connection to the internet...

BR

Jan

• Just thinking:

I changed the NIC-name from eth1 to eth0. But the former eth0 propably had another UUID, that perhaps is still stored anywhere in an important configuration file and so the new NIC could be bound to the old UUID and confuses the system.

What do you think about that?

Jan

• Erm, to compare your data to mine (I have a fritz.box too)

Greetings
    David

• davidh2k
    In the meantime i found this this thread: http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=486

I followed Volkers suggestion and executed

Code
    dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=noninteractive resolvconf

and rebooted the system.

After that resolv.conf changed to

Code
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 192.168.151.1
    nameserver 8.8.8.8

That looks much better than before - and let your resolv.conf look wrong too...

Thanks and good night
    Jan

• Hmm... Works for me allright. :lol:

But nice that the problem is solved.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!