Headless install?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to do a headless install? My only display went out yesterday, and I'm gonna need a display to reinstall. I don't really want to buy one, but if I need to, I'll find the cheapest I can find somewhere... but in the meantime.. is there a way to do a headless install?

I figure if I can't, I'll hook the NAS up to my TV, and hope the installer will support a 52in screen resolution.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know how to do this on debian but there must be something similar. On centos they use a "kick start file". It basicaly has the answers to all the prompts. You will have to add it to the iso. And turn on ssh too.

Maybe one of the debian gurus will tell us how to do it with debian.

• Hey KM!

If you want just to reinstall your system, your TV could be an idea. But what about your PC-Screen? Use this for this situation. When the system is installed and running, you can take the Web-GUI or CLI via SSH.

On the other hand your mainboard might have out-of-band-management (Dell DRAC, Intel ATM, HP iLo - just to name a few). When you got that, you don't need a TV or screen. Just connect to that out-of-band-management...

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "donh"

I don't know how to do this on debian but there must be something similar. On centos they use a "kick start file". It basicaly has the answers to all the prompts. You will have to add it to the iso. And turn on ssh too.

Maybe one of the debian gurus will tell us how to do it with debian.

Yeah, I did some Googling, and preseed seems to be the answer, but all I can find on that is installing full systems.. Obviously I don't need a GUI,

I wonder if the same concept would work for a mini ISO (which would make the most sense for OMV). I might mess around with it later and try that in Vbox.

Zitat von "Dennis"

Hey KM!

If you want just to reinstall your system, your TV could be an idea. But what about your PC-Screen? Use this for this situation. When the system is installed and running, you can take the Web-GUI or CLI via SSH.

On the other hand your mainboard might have out-of-band-management (Dell DRAC, Intel ATM, HP iLo - just to name a few). When you got that, you don't need a TV or screen. Just connect to that out-of-band-management...

Unfortunately, the only display I have at the moment is kaput... if I had a display I'd use it rather than go to this headache... :). Other than that one display, I only have laptops in the house.... and I'm not aware of an easy way to turn a laptop into a PC display.

• What kind of mainboard do you have? Have you checked for the management systems? For example: My HP N40L got one of those cards. I can map ISO-Images, can change BIOS-Settings and more even from my Laptop.

Is the TV-Thing working?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Dennis"

What kind of mainboard do you have? Have you checked for the management systems? For example: My HP N40L got one of those cards. I can map ISO-Images, can change BIOS-Settings and more even from my Laptop.

Is the TV-Thing working?

This isn't an emergency situation.. so I've not really messed w/ it just yet.. it was just a question. I'm hoping to build by the end of the week, and really didn't want to buy another monitor... if it comes to that, I'll just go to Frys (or maybe even a pawn shop) and get the cheapest display they have.

• Zitat von "KM0201"

[...]
    I figure if I can't, I'll hook the NAS up to my TV, and hope the installer will support a 52in screen resolution.

Thanks.

The Installer supports 1080p Displays, so you will be fine using your TV. I use my TV for emergencys too.

For cheap displays, just grab a used one from ebay.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Does your laptop have virtualization. Make a vm. Image it with Clonezilla on an external. Then boot your OMV using Parted Magic. You should be able to ssh into either of those. Then mount the external and restore the image to the system drive with Clonezilla.

I may have to take it back on System Rescue CD. I'm not sure if it has Clonezilla or not.

It can be done but I'm not making a guide. :D

PS- you have to be pretty proficient in VirtualBox to do this.

• Zitat von "KM0201"

I'm hoping to build by the end of the week, and really didn't want to buy another monitor...

Indianapolis has 829.718 citizens (according to german Wikipedia). Go to you neighbors and borrow one. :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

SystemRescueCD doesn't have clonezilla unfortunately. If you could pick the second option on the OMV installer (press arrow down once it has booted to boot menu), you could connect by serial port to install.

Cover the shipping (not too bad from Wisconsin to Indy - probably $15 or $20) and I will send you a dell LCD (doesn't have a stand).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

SystemRescueCD doesn't have clonezilla unfortunately. If you could pick the second option on the OMV installer (press arrow down once it has booted to boot menu), you could connect by serial port to install.

Cover the shipping (not too bad from Wisconsin to Indy - probably $15 or $20) and I will send you a dell LCD (doesn't have a stand).

LOL... Thanks for the kind offer, but I'll figure something out.

• Not headless, but tried to install OMV to a USB stick using VirtualBox with the OMV iso mounted.
    The stick installed just fine, but when I put it in my server to boot up, the server doesn't show up in my attached devices list on my router. So I guess something is wrong and it's halted somewhere. Pretty hard to troubleshoot. Haha.

What now? :)

• First, don't use a USB Stick for OMV.

Second, try that stick on your desktop machine where you created it. However, get rid off it afterwards or OMV will take of this for you.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to run omv-firstaid or remove the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot. You could remove the file before you shutdown for the move.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ah, I know USB sticks are not recommended for OMV, but I took the plunge anyway. Went for a SLC based one, so hopefully it will live a while.

Just booted up in VBox and it received 10.0.0.35 as ip (my network is 192.168.1.x for reference btw).
    Now, it could be that it didn't get an IP given from the dhcp service running on my router, but somehow that seems unlikely?
    I'm not that used to Debian and setting stuff like this up. Should I go into /etc/network/interfaces and change from dhcp to static?
    How would that look?

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.100
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.1.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255

Seems about right?
    My router has IP 192.168.1.1 but that's the gateway right?

And by the way. The motherboard have an inbuilt realtek nic, but I opted for an Intel one.
    How will I know which nic gets which eth? (eth0/eth1?)

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

You need to run omv-firstaid or remove the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot. You could remove the file before you shutdown for the move.

Removing that file solved it for me, thanks alot!
    Finally up and running :)

• Zitat von "voyage365"

Ah, I know USB sticks are not recommended for OMV, but I took the plunge anyway. Went for a SLC based one, so hopefully it will live a while.

Just booted up in VBox and it received 10.0.0.35 as ip (my network is 192.168.1.x for reference btw).
    Now, it could be that it didn't get an IP given from the dhcp service running on my router, but somehow that seems unlikely?
    I'm not that used to Debian and setting stuff like this up. Should I go into /etc/network/interfaces and change from dhcp to static?

You may not change the interface settings.
    In VBox you simply have to change the network-settings to "Bridged Networking". Your VM will then get an IP directly from your dhcp router.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!