OMV as standalone video player

• Hi community,

I'm currently running OMV 0.4.38.
    I have all my films on the OMV-machine.
    As it is connected to a monitor anyway, I want to use it as a standalone video player. (I don't want to have 2 PCs running just for watching a film.)
    But to watch films on the OMV-machine, I need a desktop and VLC installed. I already tried to install ubuntu-desktop using

Code
    apt-get --no-install-recommends ubuntu-destkop

However, I get an error messege saying that the packet is not found.

What am I doing wrong?
    Or is there another possibility to watch films directly on the OMV-machine (without reinstalling everything)?

Thanks in advance!

• haha,OMV is based Debian,and ubuntu is based Debian.so this error will happen.
    Another method,you can install OMV on ubuntu-desktop,maybe its able to meet you.
    PS:I'm also looking for ways to play movies directly,just like qnap.but I don't find it now.

China|OMV 3 - 64 bit HP N54L,4G RAM,8G SSD(OS),3Tx1(Data),1T×1(Data),250G×1(Data),160G×1(Data).

• Is it possible? Yes.
    Should you do it? No.

OMV is designed to be a NAS.

What do you mean with "play movies directly, just like qnap". Qnap does not have a desktop either, does it?

Why do you want to use a NAS then? Why no simple desktop installation with some shared folders?

• QNAP HD Station can play movie to HDTV via HDMI.for me,OMV is primary used for backup data.

China|OMV 3 - 64 bit HP N54L,4G RAM,8G SSD(OS),3Tx1(Data),1T×1(Data),250G×1(Data),160G×1(Data).

• First, thanks for the fast replies!

dezi121:
    That's exactly what I did wrong. I fought Debian is based on Ubuntu, but it's the other way around.

WastlJ:
    Why should I not install a desktkop GUI?
    I want to achieve to watch films without having to use my main PC, which is much louder, consumes much more energy etc. So I fought I could install a GUI on OMV to watch films.

Which lightweight desktop-gui is best for my requirements?

• If you want to use your OMV as a Desktop install Debian Squeeze and then OMV on top of it. I have a full gnome desktop installed that I vnc into for some applications, my server is headless though. In a month or 2 you could do same with new version of OMV and Wheezy.

• Zitat von "assembler13879"

I just used following tutorial to install GNOME on a OMV 0.5 VM.
    https://wiki.debian.org/Gnome

It worked very well. Only drawback: Users generated using the web-interface aren't able to start it using "startx".
    The whole system crashes. Users crated in terminal are able to start the desktop. Any idea why and how to fix that problem?

execute as root

Code
    groups someusercreatedwithomv
    groups someusercreatedwithcli

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

tell me if this service is running:

service gdm3 status

also, edit users and make sure they are bin bash shell. You can do this in omv-webgui.

Service gdm3 seems not being installed.
    the user has bin/bash as shell and is member of group "users"

Now I got an error message after executing "startx" and waiting a bit as the user created in OMV-webgui: "Could not update ICEauthority file /.ICEauthority"

After cloing that error I get a next one: "There is a problem with the configuration server (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)"

• You read what I posted above your post?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!