RAID Performance?

• Hi All,

I've just come to try and establish roughly what level of read and write performance I should expect from a 5 disk RAID 6 array using software raid (MDADM, EXT4 filesystem) within openmediavault

I used DD to create a 10GB tempfile on my setup and thought that the performance was awfully poor.... I achieved a 77.2MB/s write speed and a 110 MB/s read speed.... is this roughly what you would expect?

My experience of RAID arrays tells me something isn't quite right here. It's not throttled by CPU as I have a powerful enough CPU in there to handle transcoding with Plex (It's an i5 quad core running @ 2.8Ghz)

Any idea's on what I may have done wrong, or steps I can take to improve the performance. I'm not even fully saturating a gigabit link.

If you need any more info just let me know...

Cheers
    Danny

• I never tried RAID6 myself, but it has way more performance needs than raid5 due to the double parity.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Yes, array is active and rebuilt.

Code
    root@nas:/media/b336b873-849f-497c-bfe3-c14a78d83441/Restore# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md0 : active raid6 sdb[0] sdf[4] sde[3] sdd[2] sdc[1]
          8790795264 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/5] [UUUUU]

unused devices: <none>

I expected a write penalty... double parity is obviously an overhead. But the impact to the read performance surprises me.
    The computer is not exactly a slouch and as I mentioned I do not see a CPU bottleneck, which I would expect if the parity was causing the issues.

Now I have done RAID before mainly using motherboard softraids... and from my experience with RAID 5 (softraids generally dont do RAID 6) never had much of a read performance hit over a plain old two disk stripe but there was a performance penalty with writing. From this I kind of assumed a similar concept would apply to RAID 6 in terms of read speed. I'd expect a 5 disk RAID 6 array to be roughly on par with a 3 disk stripe for reading only

• I dunno. Not many users ever used raid6 on this forum here and i've never seen benchmarks for it either. So i would suggest to google a bit of the performance with mdadm and raid6.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I did, however the latest benchmarks I found were from 2011. Even they were around the 120MB/s write and I couldn't see any for read.

I'm wondering if my choice of filesystem could have had an impact.... maybe I should have chosen XFS?

Also would using LVM have made any difference - I'm not sure what it offers me and I now have everything built without it so can't play!!

• Dunno, i chose XFS over EXT4 because it should have higher performance for large media files. But it shouldnt affect it so much.

Greetings
    David

• OK, thanks for your help but I think I've managed to find the answer...

http://askubuntu.com/questions…-mdadm-raid-6-write-speed

Basically mdadm appears to use a default stripe_cache_size of 256 - I have changed mine to 8192 as the first post suggested and instantly got write speed to 324 MB/s...

I will play with the figure a bit more and see what I can get out of it I think.

I agree with the comment on that page... I think the default needs revising!!!

Thanks again
    Danny

• Offizieller Beitrag

This topic has some good info (you found most of it). I put echo 8192 > /sys/block/md0/md/stripe_cache_size in my /etc/rc.local because you need to set it after every reboot.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for pointing me to that thread... I'm glad you told me about /etc/rc.local otherwise it would have probably caught me out.

Whilst I wouldn't say I'm brand new to linux it certainly isn't my strong point so even though I might have finally figured out that setting wasn't persisting a reboot without a pointer I wouldn't have known how to make the command execute automatically at startup.

Cheers
    Danny

• Do a feature request in the bugtracker for this.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!