USB HDD not mount automatically on boot

• Hi!

Please help me. I attached an USB HDD to my OMV. I configured everything smoothly, but If I restart the OMV Computer, my USB device isn't mounting automatically. I have to Mount it with the mount -a command, or on the GUI.
    After I mounted it, everything is OK.

I tried to put an mount -a script to the rc0.d folder (as @K02...) but it didn't solve the problem. I tried to set the "pass" in fstab 2>0 but nothing happened (and restart).
    I attach a file with my relevant logs.

Thanks,
    T.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of:
    cat /etc/fstab

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the usb drive your only data drive?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

The drive should be mounted on boot since it is in fstab. USB devices sometimes take longer to find. I would check for a delay setting in the bios.

• Hi!

The Bios recognize the USB HDD in time, so the problem will be in the OS boot process. I don't find in the boot log mounting the DATA drive..
    How can I run the mount -a command on boot before other services? (For the proper starting of mysql, transmission etc..)

Or... Is there a chance, that the third party msql and website module cause the mounting problem?

• Hi!

The problem is with my mini pc. If I restart the PC the USB drive not mounting on OMV boot (The Bios see the drive). But if turn off and on that, the USB HDD is mounting on boot automatically.
    Do you have idea?
    BIOS:
    USB is in legacy mode, is it ok?

Thanks,
    T.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like bios flaw. Are you running the latest bios version? Legacy should work fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What computer/mother board is it? reboot and shutdown work very similar.

• This is a timing issue. I have helped ppl with this before. The usb drive is not ready when the os tries to mount it from fstab. Let me try to find one of the old posts. It should help you. I will post the link here as soon as I find it.

Try what is says to do in 1st post on this thread:

http://phpbb.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1465

You need a bit a of a delay before the operating system tries to mount the usb drive, so it can be ready.
    If 5 seconds root delay does not work try 7, 9 or 10. Increase til you find increment that works. I think Volker disabled the filesystem check
    otherwise you would be having to press CTRL-D before your system would boot, because of missing filesystem on usb drive (which is not actually missing it is just the drive is not ready yet).

• Hi!

I tested the solution above. It is not working. When the Linux is booting Im watching the commands, and I noticed, that the HDD spin up again when the "loading cpuferq kernel modules (or something similar...)" text is displayed on the screen.
    The HDD had spinned up already before this during the BIOS screen as well.
    I tested the reboot and the shutdown as well, and the mounting isn't working. I see the external HDD as Online on the GUI, but the filesystem is unmounted:(. I have to mount manually.

• how many seconds did u try??? The spinning does not mean the drive is ready. Ignore that. I've had ppl go as high as 12 before it worked.

Lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.... :ugeek:

• Hi!

At the grub boot menü I waited 15 seconds. Then I select the normal boot. I disabled the BIOS quiet boot, so the HDD had 25 sec....
    I think it should be enough..., but not.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is a custom embedded system and I still think the bios is the problem. It must not reset the usb state properly when rebooted but does when shutdown. I don't think you are going to find a workaround unless there is a bios setting or update available. I would contact Landitec since it is stated that it supports Linux.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!