How to install vmware guest tools

• hi all

I am running OMV on VMware Esxi/vCenter. Can somebody tell me or point me in the right direction for how to install the guest tools? Cause I never installed them from the command line before.
    Thank you very much.

cheers
    Roberto

• Thanks WastlJ
    I already had found that but the decompression did not work. It exits with an error similar to "can not execute write: on the device not enough space to write to" (translated from german). So i thaugt the explanation does not work for OMV.
    I meanwhile also found a video tutorial here:
    http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/resources.html
    under
    VM - Virtual Machine Guest OS install with VMware Tools Onstall and Overview
    but same error.
    I installed OMV on a 10 GB virtual disk. I dont think that is too little, right?
    What could be the problem?

@ tekkbebe: what means Doh! ?

Thanks
    Roberto

• I see with df -h that tmpfs on /tmp is only 125M in size. Could that be the problem and how to resolve it?

Found a solution: mkdir /mnt/tmp and extract to that worked! No more space problem.

Thanks for the help anyways

cheers
    Roberto

• Zitat von "WastlJ"

So... May you tell me the benefits you have with it?

Yes please, Roberto. I am interested, too.

All my Linux VM (I have four of them running) do not have these tools installed and there's IMHO no need to do that. Three of them are Fedora Linux using graphical desktop and one is a Sophos UTM for testing purposes. Keyboards, mice and the graphic desktops are working well without any hassles and even the "window-catching" works like on the other VM's where the tools are installed.
    Being nosy as I always am ;) I tried to install the tools on a testing VM some time ago and got it working. But there was a big problem - when it came to an upgrade (Fedora often upgrades their distros, every 6 months) it was not possible to complete the upgrade, lots of paths were not found because of the changes the tools installation has made. So I had to uninstall the tools, upgrade the system and reinstall them.
    IMHO the tools installation is just a waste of time on a system which can be managed without them. Or did you encounter problems with your OMV installation?
    Well, the red exclamation mark in the VCenter overview is an eye catcher, but that's just a cosmetic issue. ;)

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!