Virtualbox plugin : virtualised OS graphic interface

• Hi all,

First things first : thank you for this great great os !

I currently have a pc with OMV on it. As the motherboard has an HDMI output, and the hardware is always on, I want to have both OMV and XMBC on the same hardware.
    My first idea was to run a linux distribution or windows through the virtual box plugin.
    I have a few questions though :
    - Do you think I will be able to access the graphic interface of the virtualise OS through the hdmi ?
    - Will I have to install a graphic interface first on OMV before I can access virtualised os' one ?

Should I consider :
    - to install another system with XMBC on it, and then virtualise OMV through the main OS ?
    - something else ?

I just want to be able to access my datas from anywhere in the flat and use the same harware to plug a tv in to have xmbc and streams from other hardware using splashtop.

Thanks in advance

• To paasthrough 3D acceleration is not possible with many hardware/software and therefore not recommend.

Your consideration to run OpenMediaVault within a VM is perfectly possible. Many of us do it this way.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• There have been a few threads about this.

You have different possibilities.

1. Install OMV and on top of it sth. like LXDE
    2. Install Debian and on top of it OMV ( small tutorial from tekkb: http://forums.openmediavault.o…pic.php?f=3&t=3480#p27468)
    3. Wait for a possible plugin (http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3571)
    4. Use your server only with OMV, install the plex server via OMV-Extras.org Plugin Repository. With this plugin you can play your media files with all your plex clients.
    5. Run OMV in a VM - like david already said.

• That is not how I did it. I installed OMV and then installed a Desktop. This is very difficult and I don't recommend people to try it. You run into issues with Debian control file. The link you give above is how we recommend to do it if you want a full desktop.

• Thanks all,

I saw the thread about OMV on top of debian and the XMBC plugin. I don't want that as I don't want debian nor use it just for OMW and XMBC.
    I'll virtualise it then I guess.
    Last question, any good reason not to "win7 + VM OMV" ?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "valvince"

Last question, any good reason not to "win7 + VM OMV" ?

That is what I use to develop plugins. Works very well.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• PCI Passthrough works well however you need specific hardware that supports it. In order for it to work the cpu,motherboard chipset,and the motherboard must have and option in the bios to enable pci passthrough.
    When all the hardware is supported pci passthrough does work. Only problem you may run into is with vga passthrough as this is very tricky as not all vga cards support this. Some do however. Make sure you do your homework before you buy any new hardware if you want to use pci passthrough.

• vt-d is i5, i7 (Support started with Ivy Bridge CPUs) and XEON exclusive.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi,

I've been trying to solve the same problem for a long time, I've read many forums and posts. But nowhere I found a solution, do you know anyone about any other way to achieve GUI displaying on HDMI server output?

The best option seems to be VMware vShpere ESXi, but it has a disproportionate demand on HW. And OMV I like so much more than anybody else.

Someone have an idea? Or has nothing changed since 2014? :-/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!