How to organize correctly my data/shares?

• Hello,

I've just build my first OMV server for a home use.

My first objective was to have a simple NAS where I can store all my data at one place: movies, pictures, songs and documents... and be able to access to these data from several devices as Windows computers, a Wii (via WiiMC) and a MediaCenter (a Win7 computer with XBMC plugged on the TV).

With OMV I have the opportunity to set more options like iTunes/DAAP and ownCloud.
    But I'm not sure about the good way to organize that and I would like to learn from your experience :)
    Could you send me your advice and feedback?

Initialy I've planned to create four common folders: movies, pictures, musics and documents.
    All multimedia data (movies, pictures, musics) would be grouped in common and shared to all users.
    Inside "documents" folder I thought to create a different folder for each user (where they could store their personal data).
    But now I would like to set iTunes and ownCloud services for each user.
    Thus, what is the best way to organize shares/folders/data to enable these services for all users?

Is it better to enable "user home directories" (in SMB/CIFS too) to use iTunes and ownCloud services?

Thanks,
    Chris

• OMV is brilliant to manage all these files with your users.

I´ve set it up like this:

A folder called "Multimedia" in the root /media/UUID/
    Inside this folder, there are other folders like "Movies", "Series"...

I do not use the DAAP share, since only ONE pc / mac can use the library. It is not designed to have multiuser support.
    My suggestion for this is to create a folder with OMV and simply copy/paste your whole itunes library to that folder. Then go to the itunes settings and choose the OMV path of your itunes library folder.

I´ve installed PLEX on my OMV to provide movies and series to all my devices (samsung tv, ipad, iphone). Very easy to set up, very nice interface.

All above this is for sharing my content. But of course there is some private data. For this i use the home directories. There my users can put in private data like photos, documents etc. Of course you can also create the itunes libraries in the home folders (not only one in Multimedia). Then every user got his own library.

For sharing some documents/files with friends I use webdav. Personally ownCloud is a bit overkill for my uses.

• I have similar to WastlJ. I have a Media shared folder. I share this Media folder with SMB/CIFS. In that folder I have a subfolders Movies, TV, Music and Photos. This setup I highly recommend for everyone. It works great. You don't have to setup shares for the subfolders because they are shared by the Media folder.

• Thanks tekkbebe, I'll follow your advices :)

I posted a question at the end of another post, and I would like your opinion on it if possible?

Inside my OMV server I have four 1TB drives, I merged them in one 4TB volume group, with one 4TB logical volume.
    Because I've no RAID protection for my drives, I plan to use two USB Hard Drives, to backup my stored data:
    - the first USB Hard Drive will be formatted in EXT4, always plugged on the server and I will use Rsync to backup data (mirror),
    - the second USB Hard Drive will be formatted in NTFS (because my computers runs Windows and I would like accessed quickly to data copy if necessary), it'll be always plugged on the server, and I will use "USB Backup" plugin to backup data (mirror).
    Do you think this mounting is good?
    I've never used Rsync and the "USB Backup" plugin, and I would like to know if I'll be able to unplug and plug these USB Hard Drive, some times if I need... or if that will generate some troubles?

Thanks,
    Chris

• A good backup is always an offsite backup. So even with a worst case scenario, you still have your data available.

If you do not have a possibility for this, backing it up like you described seems very secure.

Note: You have to unplug and plug your NTFS drive manually to do a backup with the USB Backup plugin!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The rsync to USB will work fine. I guess my only question on that is, if you're going to have the drive(s) plugged into the NAS, and on at all times... why not just get an additional internal drive? Set it up as a single drive and not included in the 4tb pool of drives. That will give you 1 internal backup. Then you can either leave the USB backup drive hooked up and on all the time. Personally, this is how I've done it. My internal drive is backed up to another internal drive with some rsync jobs. I plug in a USB drive every few weeks, and sync everything from the back up to the USB, then the USB is stored off site.

• Hi KM0201, I'm completly agree with you about that.
    In my case, the reason is $imple: it's a home server for personal use only, I'd planned to use my four 1TB hard drive (that I already had), and buy two backup drives... but when I bought these drives, 4TB external drive was $150 and internal was $300... thus I choose external drives!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "chrbar"

Hi KM0201, I'm completly agree with you about that.
    In my case, the reason is $imple: it's a home server for personal use only, I'd planned to use my four 1TB hard drive (that I already had), and buy two backup drives... but when I bought these drives, 4TB external drive was $150 and internal was $300... thus I choose external drives!

Hmm, that's understandable.

However, inside the enclosure, the drive is *probably* just a simple sata drive... So it wouldn't take much effort to turn it into an internal drive.

• Zitat von "KM0201"

Hmm, that's understandable.
    However, inside the enclosure, the drive is *probably* just a simple sata drive... So it wouldn't take much effort to turn it into an internal drive.

Sure ;)
    I've thought about this solution too, I'll probably do it... but later, because the 2 years warranty (Seagate), I'll wait a bit to check how these drives run.

• Hallo,
    my needs are similar to chrbar's and I wonder how to best organize my data within my hardware.
    I have a HP N54L, 4 x 3TB WD Red HD and a Qnap 212 with 2 x 1TB Seagate HD
    I am looking for reliability and automation. I know myself, and I am sure that I'll forget to backup my files over time.
    I was thinking about something like this:
    N54L; 2x3TB in mirror + 1x3TB internal backup on odd days + 1x3TB internal backup on even days
    Qnap and 2 x 1TB hd: sell. Or maybe, how can I use it?
    On my N54L I have a further dock for 1x2,5 + 1x3,5 hd. I am using the2,5 for a SSD with OMV, I could us the 3,5 for a removable backup.
    Any ideas? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!