File transfer speeds.

• I know there are a lot of factors. What on the OMV /router side of things can I do to increase file transfer speed?

Set up is a WD red Nas drive OMV .5, Gigabit ethernet, all cat 6 cabling, and a laptop with a 500+ mbps connection.

I get between 12-20MBps. When I should theoretically get much more. I know there are many variables. I just didn't know if there were some settings I could tweak to improve my speeds.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What speeds do you get when you plug your laptop into the network? I've never got faster speeds over wireless than what you are seeing.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I had previously made some tuning changes for my software raid. OMV now has most of my tuning built in. CIFS/SMB file sharing isnt all that efficient. I havent tried NFS to compare it yet though.

From my linux desktop over gigabit to a cifs share I typically get around 40mB a sec writing and close in the 50's when reading from software raid-5 shares..

A lot depends on the hardware of your omv and how its configured. I run a asrock e350-m1 with a dual core e350 1600mhz 64bit apu.

• Getting up to 113MB/s with smb over here (with gbit lan of course). Can't tell how much NFS can push because I don't have a Linux Desktop around.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

What speeds do you get when you plug your laptop into the network? I've never got faster speeds over wireless than what you are seeing.

Haven't plugged this laptop in yet as it supposedly only has 10/100. but my old laptop that had gigabit would go 60-85ish MBps

• Don´t know when you tested this with your old laptop. But since 0.5.31 there was a performance tuning (if you´re using raid). So 100 to 110mb/s should be absolutely no problem. Also with your hardware!

• No Raid yet. going to be using snapraid in a couple months gotta get a couple more drives. I know there are a lot of variables figured it was worth asking. Will I see improvements with snapraid like it would with hardware/software raid? Hardware is a dual core Pentium with 4gb ram

• Offizieller Beitrag

snapraid only reads/writes one disk at a time. hardware/software raid reads/writes across multiple drives speeding both up. That said, most newer individual drives can saturate gigabit networking with larger files.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• MIMO Wifi.

Alltough it makes me wonder why it behaves this way...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!